Comparing a 4.53% five-year mortgage quote in Madrid

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I’m comparing mortgage offers for a property purchase in Madrid at around €1,187,000. One lender has quoted 4.53% fixed for five years. The advertised rate initially looked competitive, but arrangement fees and the loan-to-value tier make the total cost less attractive.

For recent Spanish mortgage comparisons, what did you prioritise: APR, interest paid during the five-year fixed period, or all cash paid including fees? I’m also trying to weigh monthly affordability, portability, early-repayment terms and the risk of the rate resetting after year five.
 
For a five-year comparison, I’d calculate every unavoidable payment through month 60, then add the outstanding loan balance at that point. Looking only at interest or monthly payments can favour an offer that simply reduces the principal more slowly. Run the same loan amount and repayment schedule for each lender, including arrangement fees. Then separately compare the early-repayment and portability conditions, because those matter only under particular scenarios.
 
I’d be cautious about making five years the only comparison period. Are you actually expecting to sell or refinance then? If not, the post-fix terms and rate-reset risk could outweigh a modest saving during the initial period. I’d model at least three cases: keep the loan after year five, refinance and pay the applicable costs, or repay early. Also stress-test the monthly payment rather than assuming refinancing will be available on favourable terms.
 
Back
Top