Comparing a 4.95% 10-year fixed mortgage quote in Buenos Aires

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
The arrangement charge changed which mortgage looked cheapest, even before the loan-to-value tier was applied. I am comparing finance for a Buenos Aires studio priced at about ARS 1,220,000,000, including one quote at 4.95% fixed for 10 years.

I am now looking beyond the headline rate and comparing payments, upfront charges and the balance remaining at consistent exit dates. How are others weighing those cash flows against portability and early-repayment restrictions? I also need to confirm whether the 10 years is the entire term or just the fixed period, and what rate-reset risk remains if the debt continues afterwards.
 
I would compare total cash flows over the same 10-year period: upfront fees, monthly payments and the balance still owed at the end. APR is useful for narrowing the field, but it can obscure the practical effect of a large arrangement fee if you repay or refinance early. Run separate exit points—perhaps after a few years and at year 10—using the early-repayment terms in each offer.
 
Is 10 years the full loan term or only the fixed-rate period? That changes the comparison substantially. I’d also confirm whether every quoted payment and balance is expressed on exactly the same basis, and ask how much the rate changes at different loan-to-value tiers. Without those details, even the total-interest figure can mislead.
 
I wouldn’t make portability a major advantage unless the conditions for using it are spelled out clearly. A portable loan may still be unattractive if the next property, loan amount or approval circumstances do not fit the lender’s terms.

The monthly payment also needs testing against affordability without relying on a future refinance. If the loan continues beyond the 10-year fixed period, compare a range of reset-rate payments as well as the 4.95% case. That risk could matter more than a modest difference in fees.
 
Back
Top