A closer look at the illustrations has created another question: the apparent rate advantage may come from different assumptions rather than a better loan. The purchase is a serviced apartment at about HK$6,942,000, and one offer fixes 5.44% for 10 years, but the lenders apply different fees and loan-to-value tiers.
Should I compare them over the period I expect to retain the mortgage, using interest, arrangement charges and the remaining balance, instead of relying mainly on APR? I also need to test an early sale, refinancing before the fixed term expires, portability, repayment penalties and the payment after the fixed rate ends. What would be the cleanest way to put both offers on equivalent assumptions?
Should I compare them over the period I expect to retain the mortgage, using interest, arrangement charges and the remaining balance, instead of relying mainly on APR? I also need to test an early sale, refinancing before the fixed term expires, portability, repayment penalties and the payment after the fixed rate ends. What would be the cleanest way to put both offers on equivalent assumptions?