Comparing a 5.55% Malaysian mortgage once fees and LTV are included

selma.crane

First-time buyer
The 5.55% rate stopped looking straightforward once I saw which LTV band applied and how much the fees added. I’m comparing finance in Kuala Lumpur for a coastal home priced at about MYR 6,086,000, with the quote described as fixed over 20 years.

What is the most useful basis for comparing it with other offers: the effective rate, the cash cost over the years I expect to hold the loan, or the cost across the entire term? I also need to know whether the monthly payment is comfortable at the resulting loan amount. The portability and early-settlement conditions could affect the choice as much as the rate.
 
Choosing on the headline rate could leave you paying more when you sell or refinance. I’d set a realistic exit year and add up the deposit, fees, instalments, any settlement charge and the balance due at that point.

If you expect to keep the loan for all 20 years, the long-term cost deserves more weight. If an earlier move is plausible, compare the offers at that date instead. Use APR to screen the quotes, not as the final answer.
 
If the meaning of “20 years” is wrong, the rest of the comparison falls apart. Is that the full repayment term, or only the period before the rate changes?

I would also ask each lender to quote the actual principal produced by your deposit and LTV band. Once those figures are consistent, comparing the payment and remaining balance becomes useful. Until then, even an accurate interest total could be comparing different loans.
 
Monthly affordability should come before the lowest theoretical lifetime cost. If the loan runs beyond the fixed period, model the payment after year 20 at a less favourable rate. If 20 years is the entire term, then rate-reset risk disappears, but the monthly commitment may be much higher than with a longer tenure.
 
The result may reverse simply by changing the assumed exit from year 20 to year five or ten. That is why I would not make total interest across the entire fixed span the deciding figure.

For example, a large initial fee may look modest when spread across two decades but expensive if you repay after a few years. Run several plausible exit dates and include the settlement charge and outstanding principal at each one. That will show where each quote actually becomes competitive.
 
Check whether the arrangement fee is paid upfront or added to the loan, because adding it means financing that cost too. For portability, ask exactly what the lender means: can the existing loan move unchanged, or is the new property and borrowing assessed again? The label alone does not tell you much.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR, though. It gives you a common starting point and stops a low advertised rate hiding substantial mandatory fees. I’d use APR to narrow the field, then compare actual cash cost and remaining balance over Karim’s intended ownership period.
 
You already have the main cost categories; what remains unclear is whether the lender figures use the same assumptions. Put each written illustration into one table with the loan amount, deposit, fees paid now, fees added to the balance, monthly instalment, early-settlement charge and balance at chosen exit dates.

Add a separate line for what happens after any fixed period. I would leave refinancing out of the main case and only test it as an alternative.
 
One addition to my earlier point: portability only has value if its conditions fit a plausible move. Ask for the conditions in writing and test them against a concrete example, such as selling this home while buying another. Otherwise I would not accept a higher rate or fee merely for the word “portable.”
 
Ask each lender for an illustration based on the same loan amount, LTV and 20-year comparison period. Then run a likely-hold case and an early-exit case. The best quote is not necessarily the lowest APR or payment; it is the one that remains affordable without relying on a future refinance and does not punish your most plausible exit.
 
Back
Top