Comparing a 5.61% fixed mortgage quote on a Mumbai purchase

sasha_keel

Mortgage adviser
The 5.61% rate looks competitive at first glance. My concern is that the fees and loan-to-value band may matter more than the small difference in monthly payments.

This is for a Mumbai purchase of about ₹82,250,000, with the quote fixed for 20 years. Should I compare the offers over the entire term, or use the date when I might realistically sell, refinance or make a substantial repayment? APR gives me a common starting point, but I also want to include arrangement costs, repayment restrictions and portability conditions rather than assume refinancing will solve an expensive choice later.
 
You have already identified the rate, fees and loan-to-value tier. What remains uncertain is how long the mortgage will actually stay unchanged.

I would run the figures to two dates: one assuming you keep the 20-year fix, and another based on a plausible sale or refinance point. For example, a cheaper monthly payment can lose its advantage if leaving after five years triggers a large repayment cost. Add every fee due by each date, then test the resulting payment against an uncomfortable month in your budget. That should make the trade-off between price and flexibility much clearer.
 
The missing fact is how likely you are to sell, refinance or repay a large amount early. If none is likely, the long fixed period may make the fee difference less important. If one is plausible, flexibility could easily outweigh a small monthly saving.

I would also ask each lender to show the same loan amount and comparison date, then list portability conditions and what happens after any fixed period. Do not assume “portable” means an automatic transfer to another property; the actual terms matter.
 
Back
Top