Comparing a 5.66% 15-year fixed quote on a $1.26m New York purchase

quill.true

Property investor
Established
The surprising part was that the lower headline rate did not produce the clearly cheaper loan once lender charges and the loan-to-value band were applied. I have been quoted 5.66% on a 15-year fixed mortgage for a New York purchase of about $1,260,000, but the two illustrations use different assumptions.

I want to rebuild the comparison on one basis rather than choose from the advertised figures. Should the main measure be total cash outlay over my expected ownership period, with APR as a check, or interest paid plus the balance still outstanding at the comparison date? Monthly affordability also matters, so I do not want a long-term saving that leaves the payment uncomfortably high.

I’m checking early-repayment provisions and portability as well, because refinancing is possible rather than guaranteed. What loan amount, payoff date and fee treatment would you standardize first?
 
I’d compare total cash cost over your realistic holding period, then use APR as a cross-check. Put both quotes into one sheet with the same loan amount, start date and payoff date. Include lender fees, any rate-related upfront charges, monthly payments and the remaining balance at that date. Otherwise, a lower payment can look cheaper simply because the assumptions differ.
 
Is this a fully amortizing 15-year mortgage with the rate fixed for the entire term, or a 15-year fixed period within a longer structure? That matters for the refinance and rate-reset discussion. Also, are both lenders placing you in the same loan-to-value tier? Even a small difference in the assumed down payment could make the illustrations poor comparisons.
 
I wouldn’t let a guessed refinance date dominate the decision. Refinancing may not be attractive or available on the terms you expect, and it introduces another set of costs. First test whether the quoted monthly payment is comfortable alongside maintenance, taxes and other ownership costs. Then run several payoff dates rather than choosing one optimistic scenario.
 
There’s a caveat to relying on APR: it can be useful when loan structures and assumptions match, but it may not answer whether paying more upfront makes sense for your actual timeline. Ask each lender for a fee-by-fee breakdown and the balance remaining after the same number of years. For early repayment, confirm whether extra principal and a full payoff are treated differently. I’d also want portability explained in writing rather than assigning it value from a brief description.
 
It is a fully amortizing 15-year loan, so I agree that rate-reset risk is not the main issue unless I replace the mortgage. The bigger mismatch is that the illustrations do not use identical upfront costs and loan-to-value assumptions. I’m going back to both lenders with one loan amount and down payment, then asking for the monthly payment, all lender charges and remaining balances on the same dates. I’ll treat portability as having no value unless the terms are clear.
 
That should make the choice much cleaner. I’d calculate break-even on any upfront fee that buys the lower rate: extra upfront cost divided by the monthly saving gives a rough first pass, while the remaining-balance difference refines it. Compare at a short holding period, a middle case and the full 15 years. If the supposedly cheaper quote only wins near year 15, you’ll know how dependent it is on staying put.
 
Back
Top