Comparing a 7.01% three-year fixed mortgage quote in Doha

countTheHill

Homeowner
I have a 7.01% quote fixed for three years on a serviced apartment purchase of about QAR 2,457,000 in Doha. The advertised rate was lower, but the arrangement fees and my loan-to-value tier changed the picture. For comparing lenders, would you focus on APR, interest paid during those three years, or total cash cost including fees? I’m also trying to assess monthly affordability, portability and early-repayment terms rather than assuming I can refinance cheaply after year three.
 
I’d compare total cash paid over the three-year fixed period, including arrangement fees, then show the remaining loan balance at the end. That avoids letting a low headline rate hide upfront costs. Keep the monthly payment as a separate affordability test. APR is useful, but it may be less relevant if its calculation period does not match when you expect to refinance, sell or move.
 
One missing detail: are the fees paid upfront or added to the loan? If financed, they also attract interest. I would ask every lender for the same loan amount, term and loan-to-value, plus an amortisation schedule. Also request a clear explanation of what happens after the three-year fix—otherwise the comparison quietly assumes a favourable refinance that may not be available.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR too quickly. It is still a useful cross-check because a hand-built three-year comparison can favour whichever exit date you choose. Use both: APR for the broad comparison, and a three-year cash-cost table for your likely scenario. Then stress-test the payment at reset rather than treating refinancing as automatic. Portability only matters if the conditions would actually fit the property and move you might make.
 
Before choosing, put the quotes into one sheet with: upfront cash, monthly payment, interest paid in three years, balance after three years, early-repayment cost, portability conditions and the post-fix rate basis. Make a second version with no refinance and a higher reset payment. I’d also get written clarification that each quote applies specifically to this serviced apartment and the same loan-to-value tier, since otherwise you may be comparing indicative terms with a property-specific offer.
 
Back
Top