The lowest advertised rate and the lowest real cost do not appear to be the same thing here. I am a first-time buyer considering a Toronto property at about C$1,310,000, and the offer I received is 7.35%, described to me as fixed over 30 years. Fees and the loan-to-value band pushed it above the headline rate.
Before comparing lenders, I need to establish whether that 30-year description refers to the amortization or to how long the rate is guaranteed. After that, should I compare the cash paid during the guaranteed term plus the balance remaining, rather than relying mainly on APR? Portability, prepayment charges and the payment after any rate reset also matter because I do not want the plan to depend on an inexpensive refinance being available.
Before comparing lenders, I need to establish whether that 30-year description refers to the amortization or to how long the rate is guaranteed. After that, should I compare the cash paid during the guaranteed term plus the balance remaining, rather than relying mainly on APR? Portability, prepayment charges and the payment after any rate reset also matter because I do not want the plan to depend on an inexpensive refinance being available.