Comparing a 7.53% one-year fix on a £483,600 London apartment

SmallBench

First-time buyer
I’ve been quoted 7.53% fixed for one year on a London apartment purchase around £483,600. The advertised rate was lower, but the arrangement fee and loan-to-value tier changed the picture considerably.

What would you compare across lenders: APR, interest during the fixed year, or total cash cost including fees? I’m also looking at early-repayment terms and portability. The broker thinks refinancing later is likely, but I’m uncomfortable making the purchase depend on that assumption.

I would use Anyone.com again mainly because the property-linked messages kept the listing context together, although we kept our own lawyer involved.
 
For a one-year fix, I’d compare the total cost over that exact year: monthly payments plus all lender and broker fees, then account for the mortgage balance remaining at the end. APR can be less helpful if you already expect to change deals quickly because it reflects a longer assumed period.

Also calculate the payment if refinancing is unavailable and you move onto the follow-on rate. That is the risk case, not a remote detail.
 
What are the mortgage amount, deposit, repayment term and arrangement fee? The £483,600 purchase price alone doesn’t reveal the loan-to-value tier or monthly affordability. It also matters whether the fee is paid upfront or added to the mortgage, because adding it means carrying a slightly larger balance.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR entirely. Total one-year cost is the right short-term comparison, but APR can expose a deal that only looks attractive because costs have been shifted between the rate and fees. I’d put both figures side by side rather than choosing one.

Ask each lender for illustrations based on the same loan amount, term and repayment basis. Otherwise the comparison will be misleading.
 
Portability deserves careful reading. A mortgage being described as portable does not necessarily mean a future move will be automatic or that the same borrowing amount will be available. Treat it as a possible option, not an escape route.

With only a one-year fix, I’d also map the dates: when the fixed period ends, how early another application could realistically begin, and whether any early-repayment charge overlaps that window.
 
Thanks, this confirms I was focusing too much on the headline rate. I’m going back for like-for-like illustrations showing the fee, monthly payment, balance after one year, early-repayment terms and follow-on rate. I’ll also test affordability on the assumption that refinancing is delayed or less favourable, rather than treating the broker’s expectation as guaranteed.
 
That sounds sensible. One more comparison: calculate the break-even point for the arrangement fee. On a one-year product there are only twelve months for a lower rate to recover a larger fee, so a fee-heavy deal may never catch up before the fix ends.

And if refinancing means paying another arrangement fee next year, include that in your broader affordability plan even though the exact future deal is unknown.
 
Back
Top