Comparing a 7.55% 15-year fixed mortgage quote in Hong Kong

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
The lender says the 15-year fix provides certainty, and I can see the appeal, but I am hesitant about the price of that certainty. After a 79-day process, the offer for a purchase of roughly HK$8,697,000 came back at 7.55%. The headline promotion was cheaper, while my actual loan-to-value band and the setup charges produced a different result.

How would you compare this properly: overall borrowing cost, payments during the years I am likely to hold it, or the worst case if I remain for all 15 years? Monthly affordability matters, but so do the early-repayment provisions and whether portability would genuinely be available. I also do not want to justify the quote by assuming an easy refinance later.
 
Using the full 15 years gives you a useful downside case, although I would hesitate to make it the only basis for the decision. Start with the period you currently expect to own the property, adding the setup charges and scheduled payments. Then model what happens if you leave at that point, including any repayment cost.

That approach keeps the headline APR in view without letting it hide the effect of your likely timeline. I would also keep a separate 15-year scenario in case refinancing or moving turns out to be impractical.
 
What loan-to-value tier were you quoted, and how large are the arrangement fees? Those missing figures could explain more than the advertised-rate difference. I’d also be cautious about assuming refinancing will rescue an expensive quote later; future rates, eligibility and property value are all uncertain.
 
I slightly disagree with downplaying the full fixed period. Even if an early refinance is likely, the 15-year cost shows the downside if moving becomes unattractive. Build three columns: keep for 15 years, repay early, and refinance at your expected date. Add fees, monthly payments, any early-repayment cost and whether portability actually applies to your circumstances.
 
Back
Top