Comparing agent fee proposals for a $515,000 Austin multifamily

HappySignal

Homeowner
Thirteen days of reviewing proposals has left me with one problem: the fees cannot be compared on scope alone. This is for a small Austin multifamily likely to list near $515,000, and some candidates bundle far more post-listing work than others.

What would you ask them to document before choosing? I am considering recent sales of genuinely similar buildings, the usual response time, how buyers are qualified, who presents offers and who manages the file if a deal collapses. I also want potential conflicts explained before an offer appears, rather than during negotiations.
 
I would be wary of choosing from the proposal summaries as they stand. Send every candidate the same checklist and request a written answer showing the charge, the named person responsible and any excluded work.

For example, if a buyer's financing fails, does the agent contact backup buyers and continue handling deadlines, or does that fall back to you? Tasks you can arrange later, such as optional photography upgrades, matter less than unclear responsibility once an offer has been accepted.
 
Recent sales alone can mislead because they may not resemble your building or price range. I would ask how each proposal treats dual representation or other potential conflicts, and whether those are disclosed before an offer arrives. Also, is the fee calculated on the final sale price, a fixed amount, or something else? Without the fee basis, the totals are not really comparable.
 
I would not give much weight to a promised response time unless they explain who responds and what happens outside that person's availability. Send all candidates the same short scenario: two offers arrive, one higher but less certain, then the preferred buyer runs into trouble. Ask for their process at each step. The differences in qualification, negotiation, backup-offer handling and closing coordination should become clearer than they are in the proposal language.
 
Back
Top