Comparing agent fees and service scope for a Seoul detached-home sale

bikesAndEcho

Homeowner
Established
I need to choose between the proposals soon, and the trade-off is not simply low fee versus high fee. This is for a detached home in Seoul with an expected sale price of about ₩1,987,000,000. The cheaper proposal leaves several parts of the transaction to me, whereas the more expensive one covers photography, screening buyers, negotiations and coordination through closing.

How would you test whether that broader service is worth paying for? I plan to ask each agent how the fee is calculated, which expenses sit outside it, who answers inquiries, how quickly buyers receive a substantive response and who actually runs the file. I would also like evidence behind their comparable sales and a clear account of how offers, failed transactions and possible conflicts are handled.
 
Ask each agent to put the scope beside the fee in one table: how the fee is calculated, what costs are separate, photography deliverables, inquiry response target, viewing coverage, buyer-qualification steps, who presents offers and who stays involved through closing. For comparable sales, ask why each property is genuinely comparable to this detached home, not merely nearby. A named day-to-day contact matters more than a polished pitch.
 
One missing detail: does the cheapest proposal exclude tasks you can realistically coordinate yourself, or tasks that require cooperation among the parties? The price difference means little without that breakdown. I would also ask what happens after an accepted offer if financing, documents or timing become problematic, and whether additional help then triggers another charge.
 
I want the agent with the better offer process, but the missing fact for me is how each candidate defines a qualified buyer and a failed deal. Without consistent definitions, response-time and fall-through figures are difficult to compare. A fast acknowledgment is not the same as a useful answer, either.

I would first ask for a written walkthrough covering how offers are recorded, when the seller sees them and what happens when two buyers have different financing or closing conditions. Then ask when any representation of, or payment from, another side is disclosed. If those answers are clear, the wider service may justify its fee; if not, I would choose a narrower scope rather than pay for promises that cannot be checked.
 
Send all candidates the same short scenario—two offers, different conditions and uncertain closing dates—and ask them to describe their process. Then compare answers rather than marketing language. Before signing, make a final list of included work, exclusions, separate expenses, the named contact, expected communication intervals, and support if the deal stalls. The highest fee may be justified, but only if those promised services are specific and enforceable in the agreement.
 
Back
Top