Comparing Madrid agent fees beyond the headline percentage

grain.brisk

Seller
Established
One Madrid agent is cheaper but leaves important parts of the sale undefined. Another charges more for a package covering marketing and support through closing, yet I cannot tell how much of that work will be done by the person pitching for the instruction. Neither option feels comfortable for a new-build flat expected to sell for roughly €809,600.

Before signing, I would like each agent to specify the photography scope, buyer checks, offer-handling process and the named contact at every stage. Are response targets and support after a failed sale useful measures, or are recent comparable transactions more revealing? I also need the exact fee basis, all additional charges and disclosure of any conflicting interests. Views from people familiar with Madrid transactions would help me decide what to request in writing.
 
Ask each agent to put the workflow in writing, with a named person for every stage. I’d request the fee calculation, exact photography deliverables, how buyers are qualified, who presents offers, expected response times and what happens if an agreed sale falls through. “Closing coordination” is too vague unless they list the tasks and say whether the same contact remains responsible.
 
How are the fees calculated: fixed amount, percentage of the asking price, or percentage of the final sale price? Also, are all charges included in the figures you are comparing? At €809,600, a small difference in the basis could matter more than a photography package. I would also ask whether the agent represents or receives payment from anyone else involved, and how that is disclosed.
 
One further question occurs to me: even if every agent supplies response-time and fall-through figures, are they measured consistently? I would not make either number decisive, because quick contact can still be unhelpful and failure rates can reflect the types of sellers and buyers an agent takes on.

I would give each candidate the same test case: an offer below the asking price, a buyer whose financing is not final and a short deadline. If the agent can identify who handles the offer, how the seller’s instructions are recorded and what buyer checks follow, that is useful evidence. If the answer stays vague, a polished photography package or impressive response figure would not compensate for the missing process.
 
Back
Top