Comparing management proposals for a A$532,000 mixed-use building in Sydney

UmaLowe

Developer
Established
I have reviewed several proposals for a Sydney mixed-use building at about A$532,000, but I still cannot tell where acquisition assistance ends and ongoing management begins. The same label is being used for introductions, negotiation, document coordination and post-purchase work.

The immediate decision is who will take responsibility from accepted offer through closing, particularly when residential and commercial matters involve different people. What should the quoted scope identify about response times, fees, lease and document handling, local support and escalation? I also want the document trail and handover point stated clearly, with a named contact who remains accountable after the agreement is signed rather than only during the sales process.
 
First separate acquisition support from ongoing property management. Negotiating the purchase and coordinating the path to settlement would not automatically sit with the person later collecting rent and handling tenants. If one proposal claims to cover both, require two clearly defined scopes, named contacts, fee triggers and a written handover point. Otherwise each party can say the unanswered issue belongs to someone else.
 
Is the building already tenanted, and are the residential and commercial portions covered by separate leases? That changes what you need. I would also ask whether the quoted fee includes lease administration, arrears follow-up, maintenance coordination, inspections, outgoings and reporting, or whether those attract separate charges. The A$532,000 price alone does not reveal the management workload.
 
Also, “document coordination” needs unpacking. A manager might gather leases, rent records, maintenance history and tenant correspondence, but that is different from advising on the sale contract, title or tax treatment. For a mixed-use Sydney property, I would want the proposal to identify which documents they obtain, where they store them, who checks missing items and when unresolved matters are escalated to the buyer’s own legal or tax adviser.
 
I would not place too much weight on a promised two-hour or same-day response by itself. A fast acknowledgement is useless if nobody owns the problem. Ask for a sample reporting format, an escalation route, the normal contact when the assigned manager is absent, and independent evidence that the office actually understands mixed-use buildings in that part of Sydney. The quality of the answer matters more than an impressive inbox target.
 
Put a short schedule beside each proposal: task, person responsible, deadline, included fee and extra charge. Include offer negotiation, due-diligence document collection, tenant communication, settlement handover, rent administration, repairs and urgent after-hours matters. Then ask what happens if a deadline is missed or the nominated contact leaves.

The fallback plan should be practical: access to the property records, copies of correspondence, authority limits for spending, and a clear process for transferring everything to another manager. Any authority to spend money or bind the owner should be written precisely rather than assumed from the service label.
 
That distinction has clarified the decision. I was treating purchase coordination and post-settlement management as one service, which explains why the proposals looked inconsistent. I’ll ask each provider to price them separately and identify the handover date, named contact, response target, exclusions and extra fees. I’ll also provide the lease and occupancy details before comparing quotes, then have the contract and any mixed-use legal or tax questions checked independently.
 
Back
Top