Comparing three very different agent proposals for a CHF 1,087,000 Zurich studio

otis.cove

Buyer
Established
Each agent says the proposal is complete, yet I hesitate because they seem to mean very different things by that. I am selling a Zurich studio at roughly CHF 1,087,000, and the fee gap matters less to me than the work and extra charges hidden behind each description.

I plan to compare all three on the same assumed sale price, including the fee trigger, photography deliverables, additional marketing and any payment due after a failed transaction. After that, I want to examine how buyers are qualified, who conducts negotiations, how quickly enquiries and offers are handled, and who supports the file if the first buyer withdraws. I will also ask who the named contact is and whether any buyer, referral or in-house relationship creates a conflict. Are there other questions that tend to expose a weak proposal?
 
Put all three proposals into the same cost table using CHF 1,087,000. Ask each agent to confirm in writing what triggers the fee, which expenses are included, what can be charged separately, and whether any amount remains payable if the sale does not complete. Photography should specify editing, floor-plan work and reuse rights rather than simply saying “included.”
 
Who actually handles enquiries and viewings under each proposal? A convincing presentation from one person means little if the file is then passed to someone unnamed. I would ask for the day-to-day contact, expected response time, holiday cover and how often you receive updates. Also clarify whether you approve extra marketing costs before they are incurred.
 
I would not put too much weight on promised response times; everyone can promise quick replies during a pitch. Recent results for genuinely comparable Zurich studios are more revealing, provided they explain the starting price, final outcome and time involved rather than just showing attractive listings. Ask what they would change if there is interest but no acceptable offer after the first few weeks.
 
Recent results help, but they can also be selectively presented. I would spend more time on the offer process: what information is requested from a buyer, how competing offers are communicated, who negotiates, and whether you receive a written record of the terms beyond price. Ask directly how they disclose any conflict if they also have a relationship with an interested buyer.
 
The overlooked part is what happens after you accept an offer. Does the agent continue chasing the parties, coordinating the next steps and keeping backup interest warm, or do they consider the work finished? Ask each one to describe their process if the preferred buyer delays or withdraws. That answer may explain some of the fee difference without guaranteeing that the dearer proposal is better.
 
You could send all three the same short scenario: two offers arrive, one higher but less certain and one lower with clearer timing. Ask what they would verify, how they would present the choices, and who would manage the file through completion. Their answers should make the service differences much clearer than another general sales presentation.

I would then compare total possible cost, named contact, buyer qualification, negotiation method, reporting frequency, conflict disclosure and support after agreement.
 
One addition to my suggested comparison: separate mandatory charges from optional ones. An agent may describe photography or promotion as optional even though they would not recommend launching without it. Ask for the realistic all-in proposal they expect you to use, plus written approval before extras. Otherwise the cheapest headline fee may only remain cheapest on paper.
 
Back
Top