Contingency and hidden-condition checks for a 160 m² Dubai retail renovation

GreenSignal

Homeowner
Established
I have checked the broad scope and set a preliminary budget, but access to the existing services is still unclear. The figure is AED 897,600 for a 160 m² Dubai retail unit. The project includes kitchen and bathroom work, new finishes, electrical inspection and some energy improvements; there is no planned structural extension.

The finishes can be adjusted later. Concealed drainage, limited plumbing access and electrical defects are much harder to absorb once work is underway. What contingency would you retain until those points are opened up? I would also appreciate suggestions for questions covering contractor exclusions, responsibility for making good, permit timing and the treatment of hidden conditions before the price is fixed.
 
I would initially carry roughly 15% until access and existing services are better understood, then reduce it only when the contractor has priced a clearly defined scope. Ask for the quotation to separate known work, provisional items and exclusions. “Electrical checks” is especially loose wording: establish whether the price includes only inspection and testing or also repairs, replacement and making good.
 
Was the unit previously operating as a similar type of business, or are the kitchen and bathroom layouts changing? That affects how much confidence I’d put in the budget. Existing drainage locations, ceiling access and the available electrical capacity could matter more than the visible condition. I’d also ask who pays when concealed services are found somewhere different from the drawings.
 
I’d be cautious about simply adding a large contingency and calling the risk covered. Contractor exclusions can consume it very quickly. Get written answers on demolition disposal, protection of common areas, work outside normal access periods, ceiling and floor reinstatement, testing, permit-related submissions, and any landlord or building requirements. Also identify long-lead materials before fixing the sequence.
 
Agree with Katarina. In Dubai, building-specific approval and access arrangements can affect the programme, so ask the building management what must be submitted and what restrictions apply before accepting the contractor’s schedule. I would also have the contractor map the intended sequence from opening up through inspections, service changes, waterproofing, finishes and final testing. A percentage allowance cannot rescue an unrealistic sequence.
 
For the wet areas, can sections be opened before the full contract is committed? Even a limited investigation around drains, pipe routes and wall-floor junctions could clarify plumbing access and moisture risk. I’d want any suspected leak or dampness resolved before flooring and joinery are ordered, otherwise the programme may look efficient on paper but create expensive rework.
 
One addition to my earlier point: agree in advance how discoveries after opening-up will be recorded and priced. Photos, a short description, labour, materials and programme impact should be provided before a variation proceeds where practical. Otherwise the contingency becomes an untracked second budget. I’d keep a separate allowance for client-requested upgrades so those do not get confused with genuine hidden conditions.
 
I’d issue the same scope schedule to each bidder and require them to complete an exclusions and assumptions column rather than relying on headline totals. Include electrical remedial work, plumbing access, waterproofing, making good, waste removal, permits or approvals, material lead times and final testing. Then compare the AED 897,600 against aligned scopes. Keep the contingency outside the contractor’s base price and release it only against documented changes.
 
Back
Top