A$192,900 appears workable for the visible scope, but one unclear electrical item could disrupt both the budget and programme. The project is an 80 m² Sydney townhouse renovation involving the kitchen, bathrooms, floor finishes, painting, electrical investigation and limited energy improvements, without an extension.
Rather than choosing a contingency percentage only from the total price, should I first require a written schedule of what has been inspected, allowed for and excluded? I would like it to cover concealed plumbing, moisture damage, switchboard or wiring work, demolition and making good. Material availability, approvals and the order of trades also seem capable of causing costs even where no defect is found. What would you insist on confirming before comparing the quotations?
Rather than choosing a contingency percentage only from the total price, should I first require a written schedule of what has been inspected, allowed for and excluded? I would like it to cover concealed plumbing, moisture damage, switchboard or wiring work, demolition and making good. Material availability, approvals and the order of trades also seem capable of causing costs even where no defect is found. What would you insist on confirming before comparing the quotations?