If the allowance for concealed work is too low, the £98,730 budget could fail before the visible renovation is complete. I am reviewing that preliminary figure for a 2,480 sq ft London villa, with no extension intended.
The planned work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, flooring, decorating, electrical investigation and some energy improvements. I am less concerned about finish selections than access to plumbing, moisture, the true electrical scope and materials that may have long lead times.
What level of contingency would be sensible before surveys and contractor quotations firm up those items? I would also value suggestions for questions that force contractors to identify exclusions, responsibility for opening up and making good, and any sequencing assumptions rather than leaving them hidden in the price.
The planned work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, flooring, decorating, electrical investigation and some energy improvements. I am less concerned about finish selections than access to plumbing, moisture, the true electrical scope and materials that may have long lead times.
What level of contingency would be sensible before surveys and contractor quotations firm up those items? I would also value suggestions for questions that force contractors to identify exclusions, responsibility for opening up and making good, and any sequencing assumptions rather than leaving them hidden in the price.