I want to keep enough cash outside the works to finish the project properly, but the unknown condition of the building makes it hard to set that reserve. The current figure is £250,400 for a 1,510 sq ft coastal home in London, covering kitchens, bathrooms, surfaces, electrical investigation and some energy-efficiency work without adding an extension.
Before choosing a contingency, I plan to focus on damp or corrosion, access to concealed plumbing, subfloors and anything likely to require opening up. Which survey questions and contractor exclusions would you insist on resolving? My working rule is that if targeted inspections reveal sound fabric and accessible services, I can retain the fuller design; if they expose structural repairs or difficult pipework, I will reduce the specification before committing to orders. I would also welcome views on when permit work should begin relative to those investigations.
Before choosing a contingency, I plan to focus on damp or corrosion, access to concealed plumbing, subfloors and anything likely to require opening up. Which survey questions and contractor exclusions would you insist on resolving? My working rule is that if targeted inspections reveal sound fabric and accessible services, I can retain the fuller design; if they expose structural repairs or difficult pipework, I will reduce the specification before committing to orders. I would also welcome views on when permit work should begin relative to those investigations.