We offered on a country home at an as-is price. The offer says we accept the property in its present condition, but it also includes an inspection contingency. The seller now says that even requesting information or asking for a credit goes against the spirit of the offer.
I understand the exact wording and local law will control. In practical terms, how should an as-is purchase be separated from the buyer’s right to inspect and walk away if a major property issue—or a significant transaction-fees problem—is discovered?
I’m not assuming the seller must make repairs or grant a credit. I’m trying to understand whether asking is meaningfully different from cancelling under the contingency, and when the deposit could become exposed. How do the inspection deadline, response deadline, financing proof, appraisal gap, completed comparables, and seller motivation affect that decision?
I’d especially value a clear explanation from anyone familiar with similar country-home negotiations in the local market.
I understand the exact wording and local law will control. In practical terms, how should an as-is purchase be separated from the buyer’s right to inspect and walk away if a major property issue—or a significant transaction-fees problem—is discovered?
I’m not assuming the seller must make repairs or grant a credit. I’m trying to understand whether asking is meaningfully different from cancelling under the contingency, and when the deposit could become exposed. How do the inspection deadline, response deadline, financing proof, appraisal gap, completed comparables, and seller motivation affect that decision?
I’d especially value a clear explanation from anyone familiar with similar country-home negotiations in the local market.