Copenhagen apartment: rising insurance and reserves erase the saving over rent

JadeCalder

First-time buyer
I am considering a Copenhagen apartment where the purchase price works, but the master insurance premium and shared-building reserve contributions have risen sharply. The monthly association figure now absorbs much of the apparent saving over renting.

For valuation, would you assume today’s costs remain high, or treat some of the increase as temporary? I am checking insurance exclusions and loss-assessment cover as well. I would also welcome a townhouse comparison, provided the maintenance and insurance assumptions are made explicit.
 
I would value it using the current association payment and treat any later reduction as upside. Split the figure into insurance, routine running costs and reserve contributions, though. A reserve contribution is not the same as money disappearing if it reduces the chance of a large future call for building work.

The missing fact is why each component rose. Without a clear explanation, “temporary” is just optimism.
 
Does the association figure include heating, water or other costs you would also pay as a renter? If so, comparing the whole payment with rent understates the ownership saving. Energy use can materially change the comparison between an apartment and a townhouse too.

Also, is this intended as your home or a future rental? Tenant demand and vacancy matter only in the second case.
 
I disagree slightly with assuming every increase stays forever. If the reserve was raised to catch up after underfunding or meet a defined period of work, using the full contribution indefinitely could undervalue the apartment. But I would need convincing association information before modelling a reduction.

A townhouse may have a lower visible monthly charge while leaving you personally exposed to irregular roof, exterior and insurance costs.
 
Resale liquidity is another reason to be conservative. Even if the reserve is sensible, a high headline association payment can narrow the pool of future buyers because not everyone separates its components.

On insurance, I would focus less on the premium increase alone and more on what protection remains after exclusions and deductibles. Confirm how any shortfall or major shared loss could reach individual owners; the terminology and arrangements may differ in Denmark.
 
A useful comparison would have three columns: apartment at the current monthly figure, apartment with a plausible lower figure only where the reason supports it, and townhouse with an annual allowance for maintenance plus a buffer for uneven years.

The townhouse also shifts management workload to you. With the apartment, decisions and costs are shared, but you have less control over timing. Neither is automatically cheaper; the risk arrives in a different shape.
 
Emma’s question about intended use is important. If this is owner-occupied, I would compare total housing cost, energy use and control over maintenance. If letting is part of the plan, add likely vacancy and verify that the apartment can be used that way before relying on tenant demand. A strong rental market would not compensate for an arrangement that limits the intended use.
 
Agreed, and I would not mix the owner-occupier and rental cases in one calculation. For the immediate decision, ask for a breakdown of the rise and whatever current association material is available on expected building work and reserves. Then rerun the purchase at today’s payment, a stressed higher payment, and only one evidence-based lower case. If the deal works only in the lower case, the apparent saving over rent is too fragile.
 
Back
Top