Costs to include when buying a £588,900 London studio

MaraSage

Buyer
Established
I’m putting together a closing-cost checklist for a London studio priced at about £588,900. I have transfer tax, legal or conveyancing fees and registration on the list, although I may be using “notary costs” too loosely for the UK.

The less clear parts are the ownership structure, restrictions and recurring property charges. I also need to understand how residency could affect capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. What commonly appears after the first estimate, and what should I ask a licensed local professional to price or explain?
 
First establish whether the studio is leasehold and request a clear breakdown of service charges, any ground rent and other building contributions. Those recurring amounts can matter more than a small omitted closing fee.

Also tell the adviser whether it will be your home or an investment, where you are resident, and whether you already own property. Without those facts, even the transfer-tax estimate may not be reliable.
 
I partly disagree that the recurring charges are the main risk at this stage: an incomplete quotation can also hide several one-off items under a vague “disbursements” heading. Ask for separate figures for the professional fee, registration, searches, transfer tax and any leasehold-related work.

For the annual side, ask who pays council tax, what the service charge covers, whether major building works are anticipated, and what the lease restricts. Capital gains and inheritance should be discussed separately with someone who can account for your residency and ownership structure; they are not sensible numbers to guess from the purchase price alone.
 
Back
Top