Defining conveyancing scope for a $390,000 New York apartment

noor_taxes

Homeowner
I’m trying to decide what level of conveyancing support is actually worth paying for when buying a New York apartment around $390,000. The services I’ve seen use the same label for very different scopes: some mention negotiation and document coordination, while others seem to provide little beyond an introduction.

What should the written scope cover from offer through closing? I’m particularly concerned about response deadlines, transparent fees, local knowledge and who takes responsibility when the attorney, agent, lender and building all need something at once. A polished demonstration is not much help if nobody owns the next step during a real deadline.
 
I would ignore the label and ask for an itemised engagement letter. It should identify who handles offer terms, contract coordination, title or ownership searches, building documents, lender requests, closing figures and scheduling—and clearly list anything excluded.

In New York, legal work and transaction coordination may sit with different people. A named coordinator is useful, but the service should not imply that person replaces the attorney responsible for legal questions.
 
That division is exactly where I’m getting stuck. If the coordinator notices a missing building document but only the attorney can advise on it, who is expected to chase it and warn me about the deadline? I also haven’t narrowed the apartment type to a condo or co-op yet. Would that materially change the scope I should request?
 
Yes, condo and co-op files can involve different ownership documents and building procedures, so a generic apartment package may be too vague. Ask whether the quoted work includes obtaining and organising the relevant building or association materials, tracking any application or approval process, and coordinating the documents used at closing.

I’d also ask who contacts whom when something is missing. “We notify your attorney” is different from “we follow up until it is resolved.”
 
I understand why you want one coordinator to own the process, but I would be wary of paying for a promise they cannot fulfil. They cannot make the lender, building management or the other party respond. What they can commit to is monitoring the deadline list, acknowledging an issue within a stated time, following up with the responsible person and escalating silence.

I would test the quote against the downside as well as a normal closing. If the $390,000 purchase falls through, which fees are still due, which outside expenses are non-refundable, and what document or coordination work attracts an additional charge? Those answers, backed by the engagement terms and a sample workflow, are more useful than a broad claim that someone will keep everything moving.
 
Before choosing, make a one-page comparison using the same hypothetical chain: offer accepted, contract issue found, building document missing, lender requests an update, then the closing date moves. Ask each service who acts, who advises, how quickly they acknowledge the issue and what costs extra.

For independent evidence, request a sample workflow and the actual proposed engagement terms rather than relying on a demo. If responsibility is still unclear, the fallback is to keep coordination separate and have the New York attorney confirm which legal tasks they will handle.
 
Back
Top