Defining the inspection scope for a AED 3.78m Dubai mixed-use building

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a mixed-use building in Dubai at around AED 3,780,000 and need to decide what inspection service to commission. Providers seem to use “building inspection” for very different scopes: some include negotiation and document coordination, while others make an introduction and disappear.

What deliverables, response times and fee breakdown should I reasonably request? I’m particularly concerned about local expertise and having one clearly accountable person between offer and closing. I value a clean handoff more than another dashboard.
 
Separate the physical inspection from transaction coordination, even if one firm offers both. The quote should identify areas inspected, inaccessible areas, specialist tests included or excluded, report format, photographs, defect severity, turnaround time and who answers follow-up questions. For coordination, ask for a named contact, written response times and a list of tasks that end at each milestone. Fees and optional extras should be itemised rather than bundled under “full service.”
 
Is AED 3,780,000 the agreed price, asking price or valuation? Also, are you buying the whole building, and is it occupied? Those details materially change the useful scope. A mixed-use property may require access to residential, commercial and common areas, but an inspector cannot report properly on spaces they cannot enter. I would make access arrangements and any limitations part of the written brief before paying.
 
I disagree that negotiation and document coordination should automatically sit inside the inspection package. The inspector’s most valuable role is independent evidence about condition; tying that too closely to closing the deal can blur accountability.

Ask for a quoted scope matched to the actual building, not a generic checklist. Document verification, authority records and contract issues should be assigned separately to an appropriately qualified local adviser. Any suspected issue beyond the inspector’s competence should trigger a named specialist recommendation, not a vague disclaimer.
 
One practical addition to my previous reply: put the deadline and fallback in writing before the inspection. State when the report is required relative to your offer timeline, how quickly major findings must be escalated, and what happens if access or specialist evidence is delayed. Depending on the contract and local advice, that may mean seeking more time rather than proceeding with incomplete information. Also request a sample report and confirm who retains the full document trail through closing.
 
Back
Top