Delhi 45 m² villa at ₹50,100,000: how should I adjust the comparables?

DeepLane

Real estate agent
The 45 m² figure has raised a new question for me: I do not yet know which area definition was used. That could make a simple price-per-square-metre comparison unreliable, especially for a 3-bed villa where the plot and usable outdoor space may matter.

The Delhi property is offered at ₹50,100,000 and appears to be in average condition. Its light and position are appealing, but the finishes need updating and there may be energy-related expenditure. My evidence consists of three current asking listings and a single completed transaction. The broker’s stated yield is also incomplete because it excludes some costs paid by the owner.

Would you first grade the condition of each comparable and deduct estimated works, or adjust the area and location before dealing with repairs? I also need to verify the precise micro-location, tenure, parking, recurring service charges and outdoor area. I will use those details to build a range rather than a single answer, then compare it with a formal local appraisal.
 
First establish what the 45 m² measures: carpet area, built-up area or something else. For a villa, plot and outdoor space can matter enough that a simple price-per-square-metre adjustment becomes misleading.

I would use the completed sale as the starting point only if its micro-location, tenure and condition are genuinely comparable. Infer the floor-area adjustment from local comparable differences rather than applying a blanket percentage. For condition, estimated works plus an allowance for uncertainty is more defensible.
 
I’d put exact micro-location ahead of condition. In Delhi, “same broad area” is not necessarily close enough for valuation purposes. Light and location may also already be reflected in the comparables, so adding separate premiums could double-count them.

Tenure is the other major unknown: is it freehold or leasehold, and if leasehold, what remains? Parking, service charges and usable outdoor space should also be confirmed before treating the asking listings as comparable.
 
That exposes the main weakness in my notes: the area basis has not been confirmed, and I do not yet have clear information on tenure, service charges, parking or the usable outdoor area. I’ll avoid calculating an apparently precise ₹/m² figure until those are resolved.

I’m also going back to the completed-sale evidence to confirm its exact micro-location and whether its condition really matches. For now I’ll model low, base and high cases rather than choose one condition adjustment.
 
The completed transaction is useful, but one specific concern remains: it may look authoritative simply because it is the only verified sale. Its date, sale circumstances and physical similarity still need checking.

Add it to the comparison table with the same fields as the listings—area basis, plot or outdoor space, exact location, tenure, parking and condition. If those points align, use the sale as the main reference and treat asking prices as supporting evidence. If they do not, keep it in the wider range rather than forcing an adjustment from a weak match. For the energy issue, obtain evidence of the defect and likely work before applying any discount.
 
A sensible order would be: confirm the area definition and plot/outdoor space; establish tenure and any recurring charges; verify parking; inspect the completed comparable; then obtain estimates for the dated finishes and any energy-related work.

After that, rebuild the broker’s yield from the expected rent less the owner-paid costs that actually apply. Without rent and expense details, the headline yield cannot help decide whether ₹50,100,000 is justified. The formal local appraisal should then be much easier to challenge or accept intelligently.
 
Back
Top