Delhi first-time buyer: how much cash should remain after closing?

emery_leases

First-time buyer
Established
The purchase price is within the limit I set, but I am not convinced that reaching that limit would be sensible. The Delhi duplex is a 2-bed at about ₹36,740,000, and my available cash following the deposit and projected transaction expenses would be around ₹3,256,000.

That sounds healthy until I include the move, the first mortgage payment and anything urgent revealed by the inspection. I am inclined to protect several months of essential household spending first, then cover known handover costs and repairs. A sofa or an unused room can wait.

Would you regard the balance as adequate only after seeing the inspection report and my monthly outgoings, or would you set a lower purchase ceiling now?
 
I’d divide it by priority rather than into four equal pots. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your total monthly household and mortgage outgo. Next reserve the known moving costs, first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service charges due soon after completion. The remainder can cover inspection-led repairs. Buy only essential furniture initially; empty rooms are inconvenient, but they are not emergencies.
 
What would your monthly spending be after the purchase, including the mortgage and any regular service charge? ₹3,256,000 sounds substantial in isolation, but the useful measure is how many months it supports if income is interrupted. Also check whether your closing estimate includes every payment that falls around handover, rather than only the formal transaction costs.
 
There are two plausible approaches here: reserve money for expected repairs, or keep the emergency fund untouched. I favour the second when the inspection identifies a specific defect, because that cost is no longer an emergency and should affect the deal itself.

Price the urgent items before committing. If the seller addresses them or the price can be renegotiated while leaving the emergency reserve intact, the purchase may still work. If essential work would consume that reserve alongside moving costs and the first mortgage payment, I would walk away or buy at a lower price. Cosmetic findings can go on a later list.
 
Make a three-column list when the inspection arrives: essential before moving in, necessary within 12 months, and cosmetic. Get costs for the first group before committing, then add moving and near-term payment dates to a simple cash calendar. If that leaves the emergency fund intact, the price may be workable. If routine items consume it, buying slightly lower is the safer choice.
 
Back
Top