Delhi small multifamily at ₹78,490,000: how far should I raise a reliable tenant’s rent?

PlainStory

Property investor
Established
I have checked nearby asking rents and the tenant’s payment and maintenance history; what remains unclear is how much weight to give each. The Delhi small multifamily is valued around ₹78,490,000, the tenant pays roughly ₹240,100 for the relevant rental period, and comparable advertisements are near ₹290,000.

A jump to the advertised level may be lost quickly through vacancy, preparation work and reletting, particularly when the existing tenant is dependable. Would a smaller increase be the more sensible trade-off? Before proposing anything, I plan to review the agreement’s adjustment and notice terms, along with the requirements that would apply to notice and any later deposit return.
 
I would not jump straight to ₹290,000. That is an asking figure, not necessarily the rent another tenant will actually pay. Estimate the income lost during a realistic vacancy, add refurbishment and reletting costs, then compare that total with the extra rent you might collect.

A written proposal for a smaller increase, supported by genuine comparables and timed according to the tenancy agreement and local requirements, seems the better retention approach.
 
How close are those comparables in size, condition, furnishing and exact part of Delhi? Also, does the current agreement contain an increase clause or have a renewal date coming up? Those details matter more than the property valuation. I’d also look through the maintenance history: a tenant who reports issues promptly and has caused little damage has value beyond punctual payments.
 
That is the weak point in my comparison: ₹290,000 is based on current advertisements, not confirmed completed lettings. I also haven’t put a defensible number on vacancy time yet. I’ll narrow the comparison to genuinely similar homes and check the agreement before proposing anything. The tenant’s payment and maintenance history both support keeping the adjustment below the full advertised gap.
 
I agree that asking rent needs testing, but I would not let the fear of turnover justify an indefinitely discounted rent. The gap is substantial enough to discuss openly. If the agreement permits an increase, present the evidence, choose one clear figure between ₹240,100 and ₹290,000, and explain when it would take effect. Predictability can preserve the relationship better than repeated small, uncertain increases.
 
A practical way forward is to write down three scenarios: no increase, a moderate increase with retention, and the full target followed by a possible vacancy. Include empty-period rent, basic refurbishment and reletting expenses in the third scenario. Then confirm the agreement’s notice and renewal terms with someone familiar with the applicable Delhi rules, since the correct process can depend on the tenancy and property. If the tenant does leave, document condition, deductions and deposit repayment carefully rather than treating the deposit as extra rent.
 
Back
Top