Denver 2-bed villa at $1,265,000 and $4,408/month — does the yield work?

ari_cedar

Real estate agent
Established
The detail that changed my view was how little margin remains after starting with $4,408 monthly rent. On a $1,265,000 Denver 2-bed villa, the annual rent is $52,896 and the headline gross yield is only about 4.2%.

I have not included appreciation in the base case. I am allowing for empty periods, management, normal upkeep and a major-repair reserve, but insurance and property tax could still turn a thin return into poor net cash flow. Energy performance may also affect operating costs and tenant interest.

Which expense would you verify first for this specific property? I’m particularly interested in management cost, property tax, turnover and any charges attached to the villa. Rather than picking a net-yield target in the abstract, how would you compare the remaining return with the vacancy, repair and financing risks?
 
Insurance and property tax deserve actual property-specific figures rather than broad estimates. At a 4.2% gross yield, even a modest error in either can noticeably alter the result. I’d also ask whether there are any association dues or restrictions attached to the villa.

Who pays the heating and other utilities, and do you know the condition of the heating and cooling equipment? That determines how much the energy rating really affects your cash flow.
 
The missing fact for me is financing. An unlevered return may look merely thin, while mortgage costs could make the monthly cash flow negative. I would calculate net operating income first, then run separate cash and financed cases rather than letting debt obscure the property’s performance.

I wouldn’t choose a target net yield in isolation; compare it with lower-effort alternatives and ask whether the remaining premium compensates for vacancy, illiquidity and major repairs.
 
I’m less convinced that energy performance is automatically the main issue. If tenants pay utilities, the direct expense may sit with them, though poor efficiency can still hurt rentability and turnover. The larger modeling mistake may be treating “maintenance” as one smooth annual number. Roof, exterior work, heating equipment and tenant changeovers arrive unevenly, so test several bad events landing close together.
 
Before deciding, build the model from documents and quotes: current tax information and how it might change after a sale, a fresh insurance quote, any association charges, recent utility bills, and the age and condition of the major systems. Confirm whether the management estimate includes leasing and renewal work, not just monthly collection.

Then stress-test lower rent, a longer vacancy, higher insurance, and one major repair. If the deal only survives under the expected case, the headline yield is not providing much protection.
 
That helps. I was focusing on energy performance because it was the obvious unknown, but the discussion has shown that tax, insurance and turnover need property-specific treatment too. I’ll separate operating performance from financing, confirm utility responsibility and any association costs, and obtain quotes rather than relying on percentages.

I’m also going to run the clustered-expense scenario suggested above. If that pushes the net return below reasonable lower-effort alternatives, I won’t rely on appreciation to rescue the purchase.
 
Back
Top