I can see the case for using the 8.1% gross yield as a quick screen, but I am not comfortable either accepting it at face value or rejecting the property before modelling the operating costs. The Denver detached home is listed at $1,090,000, has five bedrooms and is expected to rent for $7,402 a month, or $88,824 a year.
The building looks sound, although that does not tell me what to allow for insurance, property tax, management, vacancies, routine work and major repairs. One empty month alone would remove $7,402 before turnover work or reletting costs. Which of those Denver expenses most often makes the initial estimate unrealistic?
I am planning to assess the property on an all-cash basis first, then test how sensitive the return is to financing. I would also like to know what net yield others would require and whether the rent assumption is more credible for a single household or multiple occupants.
The building looks sound, although that does not tell me what to allow for insurance, property tax, management, vacancies, routine work and major repairs. One empty month alone would remove $7,402 before turnover work or reletting costs. Which of those Denver expenses most often makes the initial estimate unrealistic?
I am planning to assess the property on an all-cash basis first, then test how sensitive the return is to financing. I would also like to know what net yield others would require and whether the rent assumption is more credible for a single household or multiple occupants.