Do 74-day Dublin condo listings signal a local shift?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
The practical problem is that I can find plenty of current asking figures but not enough useful completed-sale evidence. In September 2024 I began tracking a fairly narrow set of Dublin condos priced from €279,700 to €419,500, and the active listings have been marketed for about 74 days.

My first thought was that the average might indicate a local change, yet individual condition and maintenance obligations seem capable of producing the same pattern. One well-kept unit and one facing substantial building costs could remain unsold for entirely different reasons.

Would you narrow the neighbourhood boundaries further before drawing a conclusion? I am considering recording original prices, reductions, withdrawals and new-listing volume, then checking whether changes cluster at a similar point in the marketing period. Seller motivation may also be worth tracking where it can be established.
 
On that information alone, I’d lean toward property-level variation. The price span is wide enough that different neighbourhoods, condition and maintenance burdens could be mixed together. Also, 74 days for current listings excludes homes that were withdrawn, so it may not describe the whole pool. Completed sales would be much more persuasive than asking prices.
 
How tightly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries, and are you recording the original asking price rather than only today’s figure? I’d track new-listing volume, withdrawals and when reductions occur. A cluster of cuts after a similar number of weeks may reveal more than the average marketing period. Buyer financing and whether sellers actually need to move could also produce very different outcomes among otherwise comparable properties.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of an early local change. If several genuinely comparable units are lingering and cutting prices at about the same point, that matters even before completed sales catch up. But “comparable” has to mean same small area and similar condition, not simply within €279,700–€419,500.

A practical next step is a simple property-by-property table: first listing date, original and current ask, reduction date, withdrawal status, condition, maintenance details and any later completed price you can verify. That should separate a market pattern from a few difficult properties.
 
Back
Top