Does 103 days on market give Birmingham duplex buyers leverage?

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
I’m trying to decide how aggressively to negotiate on Birmingham duplexes priced around £427,400–£641,200. I’m seeing roughly 103 days on market, but the market feels split rather than simply slow. Listings with a clear insurance position appear to move differently.

Is 103 days meaningful leverage here, or am I overreading it? Recent completed examples would be useful, particularly where the final price can be compared with the public asking-price history.
 
The 103 days alone would not make me bid low. I’d want to know whether the property was genuinely available throughout, when any price cuts happened, and whether comparable listings sold or were simply withdrawn. A reduction after three quiet months suggests something different from a seller who has held the same price and rejected offers.
 
How are you defining the Birmingham area and the insurance issue? Neighbourhood boundaries can produce very different comparisons, even at similar prices. Also, does “clear insurance” mean construction type, flood or subsidence concerns, claims history, or a shared building policy? That missing detail may explain more than the days on market.
 
For completed examples, I’d build a small address-by-address table: first asking price, later reductions, any withdrawal or relisting, apparent sale date, final public price, condition and exact micro-location. Otherwise the discount figure can be misleading. A tired property initially priced too high is not a useful comparison for a renovated one that launched realistically.
 
I’d also separate an agent saying insurance is “fine” from the buyer actually obtaining acceptable terms. If financing depends on the property being insurable, uncertainty can shrink the buyer pool even when the asking price looks competitive.
 
That said, I disagree with treating every long listing as a negotiation opportunity. Some sellers have no pressing reason to move and will wait. The better signal is usually a combination of age, price-cut timing, visible competition and seller motivation—not 103 days in isolation.
 
New-listing volume matters too. Ten stale duplexes look like buyer leverage until you discover that almost nothing comparable has come on recently. Conversely, repeated withdrawals and relistings may hide how much stock has failed to sell. I’d count both active and recently withdrawn properties within tightly drawn neighbourhood boundaries.
 
Nicolas’s insurance question is important. If annar41 means a known concern affecting particular buildings, I would resolve that before trying to infer a standard discount. Two otherwise similar properties may attract very different demand because buyers and lenders have different financing constraints.
 
There may not be enough information in the final price alone to reconstruct the negotiation. Keep screenshots or notes of each asking-price change, then match them to the completed price once it becomes public. Also record whether the property needed work. That gives you evidence for an offer instead of relying on the headline percentage below the original ask.
 
Be strict about location. “Birmingham” is too broad for a clean comparison at this price range. Start with the same few streets or genuinely competing neighbourhoods, then widen only if necessary. Property condition, tenure, shared-building costs and the insurance position could outweigh a superficially similar floor plan.
 
One caveat on discounts: the original asking price may have been aspirational. A sale well below that figure does not necessarily show strong buyer negotiation. Compare the final price with the asking price in place when serious interest appeared, and note whether the successful buyer had straightforward financing or fewer conditions.
 
A practical approach would be to set three figures before offering: a defensible opening offer, the most you would pay, and the amount at which unresolved insurance or condition issues make you walk away. Support the opening figure with the closest completed sales and competing stock. If the seller will not move, you then have a clear basis for deciding rather than letting 103 days dictate the result.
 
Back
Top