Does 106 days on market give Manila mixed-use buyers real leverage?

knitsAndAtlas

Homeowner
Established
A listing age of 106 days suggests room to negotiate, but I’m concerned it may conceal several very different histories. I’m looking at Manila mixed-use properties from about PHP 57,540,000 to PHP 86,300,000, and the market does not appear uniformly slow. Listings also seem easier to assess when the property-tax position is properly explained.

I’d like to compare confirmed sale prices with original asks and dated reductions, while separating continuous listings from properties that were withdrawn and relaunched. How much weight would you give new competing stock, the seller’s reason for moving and tightly drawn neighbourhood boundaries? I’m particularly interested in whether genuine reductions tend to happen early or only after an extended marketing period.
 
At 106 days I would negotiate, but I wouldn’t treat the figure itself as proof of a large discount. Check whether the listing was repriced, withdrawn and returned, or has actually been continuously available. Seller motivation and the volume of comparable new listings may matter more than the displayed age. How narrowly are you defining “mixed-use” and the neighbourhood?
 
What does a “clear answer” on property tax mean here: confirmation that payments are current, clarity on the assessed amount, or certainty about the buyer’s future annual cost? Those are different issues. If the answer is vague, I’d resolve it before debating price because an apparent discount may simply compensate for unresolved paperwork or liabilities.
 
The risk of reading withdrawn stock as buyer leverage is that you open too low against an owner who is perfectly willing to wait. I can see why the inference is tempting, especially when several listings disappear, but removal does not show that the seller accepted a discount or faced financial pressure.

A lower completed price is stronger evidence only when the immediate location, condition and usable split between commercial and residential space are close matches. Even then, the advertised history records public positioning rather than every private negotiation. I would first establish the seller’s motivation and continuous listing timeline; those are harder to compensate for with a broad market comparison.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries could easily distort this comparison in Manila. Two properties marketed under the same broad area can have very different access, surrounding uses and building condition. I would make a small table for the closest matches: original ask, each price cut and date, total continuous marketing time, condition, tax clarity, whether financing was available, and final price where confirmed. That should reveal whether cuts cluster around a certain stage without pretending every 106-day listing is equivalent.
 
The practical next step is to ask the agent for three things in writing: the complete listing timeline, the reason the seller is selling, and what exactly has been verified about property tax. Then base the opening offer on completed nearby transactions and any immediate condition costs, not on days alone. If the seller rejects without a counteroffer, that also tells you more about motivation than another month of public listing history.
 
Back
Top