Does 44 days on market give buyers more negotiating room in Rome?

coffeeAndGrain

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
I can either open below asking because a Rome student-housing property has been listed for 44 days, or wait for stronger evidence of seller flexibility. Neither feels comfortable when the properties I’m tracking range from about €780,200 to €1,170,000 and vacancy status appears to affect how quickly they move.

One stale property may simply need work or have been priced too aggressively, so the 44-day figure is not enough by itself. I’m trying to compare recent sale results with earlier asking histories, including the timing of reductions. Examples of withdrawn and relisted stock would also help me separate genuine negotiating room from misleading listing history.
 
I wouldn’t treat 44 days alone as evidence that sellers are becoming flexible. It could reflect condition, a narrow buyer pool, financing delays or simply an ambitious initial price. New-listing volume matters too: 44 days looks different if comparable supply is rising. I’d separate properties by neighbourhood, condition and vacancy before drawing a conclusion.
 
What exactly is the 44-day figure—an average for current listings, completed transactions, or a small group you are following? Public histories can be misleading when a property is withdrawn and relisted. Even a completed example is only useful if the neighbourhood boundaries and property condition are genuinely comparable. Seller motivation may explain the discount better than market direction.
 
A practical approach would be to request three recent completed comparisons for each serious target, noting original ask, any reductions, final price, total marketing time, vacancy position and condition. Also ask whether financing affected the timeline. If those details cannot be supplied, base the offer on the property’s specific drawbacks rather than assuming that day 44 automatically creates leverage.
 
Back
Top