Does 46 days on market create negotiating room for Oslo townhouses?

AmberPost

First-time buyer
Established
The Oslo market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow. I’m looking at townhouses around NOK 7,404,000–NOK 11,110,000, where listings seem to be taking roughly 46 days. Homes with a clear answer on vacancy appear to move differently.

Would 46 days make you comfortable opening below the current asking price, or is that too crude? I’d particularly value recent completed examples where the final sale price can be compared with the public asking-price history.
 
Forty-six days alone would not determine my offer. I’d first establish whether those were 46 continuous days, or whether the property was withdrawn, relisted or reduced midway through. A seller who cut the price last week may react differently from one who has held the same figure throughout. Final price versus original ask and final ask are both useful comparisons.
 
Also, how tightly are you drawing the neighbourhood boundaries? Townhouses on opposite sides of a boundary can attract different buyer groups even when they look close on a map. Condition matters just as much: a dated home at the lower end of that range may offer less real negotiating room once renovation costs are considered.
 
Vacancy is a weak measure of seller pressure. My concern is that an empty Oslo townhouse can belong either to someone who needs a quick completion or to someone able to wait without coordinating a move.

I would not ignore occupancy, but I would give more weight to when the asking price changed, whether the listing disappeared and returned, and the completion date the seller wants. Taken together, those details offer a better basis for opening below ask than the 46-day figure or vacancy status alone.
 
For completed sales, I’d make a small comparison table: original asking price, later asking price, total visible marketing period, final price, condition and micro-location. Keep withdrawn stock in a separate column rather than excluding it. Otherwise the apparently successful listings dominate the picture and make the market look stronger than the seller’s actual competition.
 
New-listing volume could change the interpretation quickly. If several similar townhouses have just appeared, 46 days gives the buyer more reason to be patient. If suitable stock is shrinking, an older listing may still have alternatives waiting for it. Financing readiness matters too: a lower, clean offer may be more persuasive than a higher offer carrying uncertainty.
 
I wouldn’t choose a fixed percentage below asking from this information. Pick two or three genuinely substitutable homes, adjust for obvious condition differences, and set a ceiling based on those—not on the seller’s headline price. Then ask why this particular property remains available. The answer may reveal whether you are seeing overpricing, a property-specific problem or simply a seller unwilling to negotiate.
 
Back
Top