Does 49 days on market give a buyer leverage in Utrecht?

drawTheGrain

Property investor
Established
I have checked the advertised history for several Utrecht new-build flats between €776,500 and €1,165,000, but I still cannot tell what the roughly 49 days on market represents. It could reflect weak demand, the timing of a development release or simply seasonal marketing.

I am not looking for a standard discount across Utrecht. I want to know what would support a credible lower offer: sales of close substitutes, increasing new-listing volume, a genuine price reduction, or evidence of seller motivation. Withdrawn and relisted units make the comparison harder. Would you open below asking now, or first narrow the evidence to the same development and immediate neighbourhood?
 
To clarify, I’m not looking for a single Utrecht-wide percentage to subtract. I’m trying to work out what evidence would make a lower offer credible. How should I treat units that disappear without a recorded sale, later return, or receive a price cut only after several weeks?
 
Forty-nine days alone would not persuade me to bid lower. With new-builds, marketing periods can reflect release timing and the number of comparable units still available, not just weak demand. I’d compare completed sales within the same development or a very tight area, then account for floor plan, condition at handover and anything included in the price.
 
What is happening to new-listing volume during those 49 days? If similar flats keep arriving faster than buyers absorb them, that strengthens your position. If few alternatives are appearing, an older listing may still have little competition. I’d also separate genuine price cuts from withdrawn and relisted stock, because the visible asking history may not tell the whole story.
 
Forty-nine days is not enough to value the flat, but I would not disregard it either. It gives the buyer a reason to ask what has happened during the marketing period rather than assuming the seller has no flexibility.

First check whether comparable supply has grown and whether any reductions were genuine rather than the result of relisting. Then ask whether previous interest failed because of financing, whether offers were declined, and whether the seller has a preferred timetable. Those answers say more about negotiating room than the day count, but the day count is what makes the questions reasonable.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries could be distorting the comparison too. “Utrecht” is too broad if one set of flats has different transport access or surroundings from another. Build a small table using only close substitutes: original ask, any cut and its timing, days advertised, whether it was withdrawn, final price where available, and obvious differences in completion or condition.
 
Also, don’t assume every concession appears in the final recorded price. A seller might hold the headline figure while changing other terms, though you should not presume that happened without evidence. Ask what matters to the seller besides price and make your financing position clear. Certainty can sometimes support a lower number better than pointing to 49 days.
 
The practical route is to choose a few genuinely comparable completed sales and a few current alternatives, then ask the agent to explain each gap rather than debating the whole city. If the unit has survived a price cut while comparable stock remains available, a below-ask offer is easier to justify. If it has not been cut and alternatives are scarce, start modestly below rather than treating 49 days as automatic leverage.
 
Back
Top