Doha mortgage quote: comparing 3.95% fixed for 10 years on QAR 4,332,000

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
I need a comparison that does not depend on being able to refinance later. The quote is 3.95% fixed for 10 years on a Doha purchase of about QAR 4,332,000, but fees and the applicable loan-to-value band make the lower advertised rate a poor guide.

Should I ask each lender for total payments, compulsory fees and the remaining balance over the same ownership period, rather than compare APR alone? I also want to test the monthly payment and understand exactly what portability and early repayment permit.

My provisional rule is that if a sale or move within a few years is realistic, upfront charges and exit costs deserve the most weight. If I expect to keep the loan through the full fixed period, total cash paid and the balance after year ten become more important. Is there anything missing from that comparison?
 
I’d compare total cash paid over the period you realistically expect to keep the loan, not just the headline rate. Ask each lender for the same loan amount, term and repayment basis, then add instalments and mandatory fees. APR can help, but it may reflect a longer horizon than your own plans. Also compare the outstanding balance at the end of year ten; equal monthly payments can still hide different overall outcomes.
 
How long do you expect to own this property, and what loan-to-value tier are you actually in? If a move or sale within a few years is plausible, the ten-year interest total may be much less relevant than upfront fees and early-repayment costs. Portability also needs detail: does it merely allow an application to transfer, or does it preserve the 3.95% terms?
 
I’d be cautious about treating portability or future refinancing as part of the base case. Both may depend on conditions that are uncertain today. First test whether the monthly payment is comfortable without relying on either option. Then request a written repayment schedule and a full fee list from every lender, using identical assumptions. Compare costs at a few plausible exit dates as well as at year ten, and ask what rate-setting method applies after the fixed period. Qatar-specific early-settlement and transfer terms should be confirmed directly in the loan documents.
 
Back
Top