Doha purchase costs checked, but the post-closing cash buffer is unclear

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
QAR 76,440 is the amount I expect to retain after the deposit and estimated closing costs, and that remaining balance may determine whether this purchase is sensible. The property is a 2-bed apartment in Doha priced at about QAR 2,020,000.

I can postpone non-essential furniture, but not moving expenses, the first mortgage payment or defects identified during inspection. Rather than assign the whole balance now, would it make more sense to reserve a core emergency amount, cover the move and immediate obligations, then decide the repair allowance once the inspection is available?

I’m trying to identify the point at which reducing the offer—or choosing a cheaper apartment—would be more prudent than completing with too little accessible cash. How would others stage that decision?
 
I wouldn’t choose between locking all QAR 76,440 away as an emergency reserve and allocating most of it to the move. Both could leave you short in a different way.

First identify dated commitments: the first mortgage payment, moving charges and anything essential for the apartment to be usable. Delay optional furniture, then keep the rest unassigned until the inspection shows whether there are urgent defects. That is more useful than creating a large repair pot without knowing what work exists.

If the known payments plus a reasonable cash buffer already consume nearly everything, I would revisit the price. If the inspection is clean and your monthly income can rebuild savings promptly, the same remaining amount may be workable.
 
Before dividing it, do you know when the first service charge is due and whether anything has already been paid by the seller? Also check the insurance excess and the timing of your first mortgage payment. Those three items could change what “QAR 76,440 left” really means during the first couple of months.
 
I agree those dates matter, but I wouldn’t automatically call QAR 76,440 too little. Its adequacy depends on monthly income, existing savings outside this amount and what the inspection finds. I also wouldn’t assign a large repair budget blindly. Separate urgent defects from cosmetic work, then use the inspection to decide whether to renegotiate, walk away or reserve cash.
 
One caveat: with an apartment, ask which findings are your responsibility and which relate to the building or common areas. A worrying inspection note does not always translate into an immediate bill for the buyer, while an upcoming service charge can be very real. Get the payment schedule in writing before finalising your buffer.
 
A practical version would be four pots: untouched emergency savings; known completion and first-month payments; moving plus essential furniture; and inspection-led repairs. Don’t spend the fourth pot until you have written findings and priorities. If the untouched amount feels uncomfortably small after filling the other three, look below QAR 2,020,000 rather than relying on furniture delays alone.
 
Back
Top