Domain from Tokyo: comparing Auckland coastal-home listings

romy.wells

Homeowner
Established
I’m searching remotely from Tokyo, Japan, for a coastal home around Auckland and have been using Domain to compare options. Coverage has been useful, and school-catchment information is the feature I value most. However, duplicate listings, stale status and inconsistent floor-area figures make shortlisting harder than expected. I’d particularly like clearer listing dates and a more obvious next step after making contact. How have others found the mobile filters, map pins, saved alerts and advertiser follow-up?
 
For a remote search, I’d treat the portal as a discovery tool rather than a definitive record. Keep a separate shortlist with the address, first date seen, floor-area figure and advertiser contacted. That should expose duplicates and status changes quickly. Are your duplicates identical, or do they show different prices, photos or agencies? The second type is more concerning.
 
The floor-area issue needs unpacking. Are the inconsistent numbers describing internal floor space, total building area or something else? If the label changes between listings, comparison is unreliable even when each number is technically correct. I’d ask the advertiser to define the figure before eliminating or prioritising a property.
 
The floor-area inconsistencies make me question whether catchment should drive the first shortlist at all. For a remote coastal search, a correct map position and a usable sold-record trail may prevent larger comparison errors, because the wrong location affects both nearby sales and the supposed school zone.

I would use a simple rule: if the written address and map pin agree, apply the catchment filter and continue; if they conflict, verify the address before relying on either the catchment label or area comparisons. The portal’s school information can still save time, but it should not settle the location question by itself.
 
Those priorities aren’t mutually exclusive. Zoe is searching from Tokyo, so catchment can narrow a large list, while map accuracy can test the result. I’d open each serious candidate on a separate map and compare the pin with the written address. If those conflict, flag it rather than guessing which is right.
 
Saved-search alerts can also amplify the stale-listing problem: an alert feels new even if the underlying property has merely been edited or relisted. I’d record whether an alert represents a genuinely new address, a price change or a duplicate. Did the mobile version let you apply the same filters as your main search, or were you repeatedly cleaning up results later?
 
After contacting an advertiser, the portal and the transaction process should be judged separately. Note when you enquired, what information you requested and whether the reply resolved the floor-area and availability questions. A weak response does not necessarily prove the listing database is poor, but unclear status after contact is a reason not to spend more time on that property.
 
I would not audit ten properties indiscriminately. That could consume more time documenting stale or duplicate advertisements than assessing homes that are genuinely available.

Start with ten plausible candidates, but drop any one that remains unavailable or unclear after the advertiser is asked about status, floor area and address. For the rest, record the first-seen date, duplicate versions, map match, price history, sold-record links and response received, then repeat the same searches on mobile. This separates two outcomes: poor listing data means the portal is weakening the shortlist, while clear listings followed by poor responses point to the advertiser handoff instead.
 
Back
Top