Dubai 3-bed duplex at AED 3,542,000 and AED 24,810/month — does this rental deal hold up?

chooseTheMap

Property investor
Established
I have checked the basic purchase and rent assumptions for a 3-bed Dubai duplex, but the recurring owner costs remain unclear. The price is AED 3,542,000 and the proposed rent is AED 24,810 a month, which produces a headline yield near 8.4%.

My cash-flow model uses eleven paid months and includes management, ordinary upkeep and money set aside for a substantial repair. It does not yet give me confidence that building charges, vacancy-period utilities, any recurring public charges or financing costs are fully captured.

Which cost would you verify first for the specific unit? I’m less interested in preserving the 8.4% headline than in knowing whether the net cash flow still compensates for vacancy and tenant turnover after a realistic repair allowance.
 
The first figure I’d pin down is the owner’s actual service and community charges for this specific duplex, not an estimate based on nearby apartments. Also establish who pays cooling and any other building-related charges during occupancy and vacancy. Those items can turn an attractive gross yield into fairly ordinary net cash flow.
 
How firm is AED 24,810: signed rent, comparable completed leases, or the agent’s asking-rent estimate? Is the duplex furnished, and will it be delivered vacant? I’d also want the recent charge history and clarity on owner versus tenant responsibilities. The rent assumption matters more than fine-tuning a maintenance percentage if it is optimistic.
 
I’m not convinced eleven months automatically makes the model conservative. It reduces annual rent from AED 297,720 to AED 272,910, which is about 7.7% of the purchase price before any expenses. One turnover involving vacancy, preparation and leasing costs could consume more than that one-month allowance.

I’d separate the unlevered property return from financing. Otherwise a weak loan structure can make a sound property look bad, or cheap introductory financing can flatter a marginal purchase.
 
The larger-repair reserve is impossible to judge without the amount and what it covers. A duplex may have more fixtures and internal area to maintain than a standard unit, while responsibility for exterior or shared elements depends on the building arrangements.

I’d split maintenance into routine annual work, turnover costs and low-frequency major items. Combining all three tends to hide whether the reserve is genuinely adequate.
 
I’d run four cases rather than choose one target yield: full expected rent, eleven months, a lower achieved rent with eleven months, and a case combining turnover with a major repair. For each, show cash flow before financing and after financing.

Before proceeding, get the actual service-charge history, management and leasing quotes, an insurance estimate, and confirmation of any applicable property-related taxes or municipal charges under the current Dubai rules. Then stress the loan cost and ask whether the cash flow still works without relying on price appreciation.
 
There isn’t a universal net yield that compensates for this risk. It depends on leverage, alternative uses for AED 3,542,000 and how dependable that AED 24,810 rent is. I would base the decision on the stressed after-cost yield, not 8.4%. If the deal only looks attractive in the full-rent case with a light repair reserve, the margin of safety is too thin.
 
Back
Top