Dubai 4-bed at AED 3.009m: does the rental return justify proceeding?

oren.york

Developer
AED 17,180 a month is the number driving this decision. Against an AED 3,009,000 purchase price, that puts the advertised gross return near 6.9% for this 4-bed coastal home in Dubai, but the difference between gross and net cash flow could be substantial.

I have spent 108 days checking the purchase and currently allow for vacancy, management, routine upkeep and a reserve for a larger repair, with no appreciation assumed. I still need to test service charges, insurance, leasing costs, any property-related tax or charge, and maintenance between tenants. Is the rent evidence the first thing you would challenge, or would you focus on the annual building costs and total cash committed before deciding whether the margin is adequate?
 
The first number I’d pin down is the building or community service charge. It can materially change the gap between gross and net income, yet it’s often missing from the attractive headline calculation. I’d also model leasing costs and maintenance during tenant turnover rather than treating vacancy as the only turnover expense.

Is AED 17,180 supported by comparable completed leases, or is it an asking-rent estimate?
 
I’d want the annual service charge too, plus clarity on insurance and which party bears cooling or other property-related running costs. Also calculate yield against the full cash committed, not just AED 3,009,000.

I’m less focused on choosing a target net yield upfront. Stress the rent and vacancy assumptions first; if a modest change makes the return unattractive, the deal has little margin for error.
 
Agreed on stress testing, although I wouldn’t automatically dismiss it because the margin looks thin under a harsh scenario. A 4-bed may have a smaller tenant pool than a typical apartment, but tenant stays could also be longer; the turnover assumption needs to match this property rather than a generic annual allowance.

I’d run at least three cases: expected rent, lower rent with normal occupancy, and lower rent plus an extended vacancy.
 
The 108-day period is worth examining as well. If that reflects the property sitting available, ask whether price, condition or competing supply explains it. If it only reflects how long you’ve tracked the numbers, compare what has changed during that time.

One caveat on the building looking sound: visible condition does not tell you whether future shared works could raise ownership costs. Request the current charge details and any available information about planned major works before settling on the reserve.
 
Financing can overturn the conclusion even if the property itself produces positive net cash flow. Recalculate with a higher borrowing cost, if debt is involved, and include periods when rent is absent but payments continue.

My practical next step would be a one-page annual model showing rent, vacancy, management, service charges, insurance, routine maintenance, turnover expenses and the larger repair reserve separately. Then compare the resulting cash yield with a lower-rent scenario. That will expose whether 6.9% gross is genuinely robust or just visually appealing.
 
Back
Top