Dubai asking and sold prices diverging at around AED 2,642,000

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
As of March 2026, I’m tracking Dubai property around AED 2,642,000 and trying to decide whether to act now or wait. Well-presented detached homes appear to move in roughly 110 days, while those needing work remain available longer. I’m also seeing a visible asking-versus-completed-price gap close to 3.0%.

Does this indicate buyers becoming more selective, or could it just be seasonal noise? Completed transactions or direct neighbourhood observations would be useful, but please distinguish them from citywide headlines.
 
Selectivity is plausible, but the 3.0% figure needs a denominator. Is that the reduction from each property’s final asking price to its sold price, or a comparison between current listings and a different group of completed sales? The second version can be distorted by location and condition. Which neighbourhoods are in your sample?
 
I would also be careful with the 110 days. A listing can be withdrawn, relisted or moved between agents, so its displayed age may not represent the full marketing period. Even without that issue, detached homes needing work are not directly comparable with renovated ones. This may be a change in the property mix rather than market speed.
 
Transaction volume would help separate a trend from noise. If March produced only a small number of genuinely comparable completed deals, one unusually discounted sale could shift the apparent gap. I’d match properties by neighbourhood, approximate size, condition and completion status, then compare initial ask, final ask and completed price separately.
 
There is another timing issue: when was the completed-sales information available? A March 2026 listing snapshot compared with deals entered or revised later would not be a clean same-date comparison. I’d keep the original extraction date and note any later revisions rather than silently replacing the figures.
 
I’m not convinced this is evidence of a broader buyer shift yet. March alone is a narrow window, and sellers of homes needing work may simply be slower to adjust expectations. If the same split persists across several monthly cohorts—and completed volume remains healthy—the selectivity argument becomes stronger.
 
The missing neighbourhood detail is important in Dubai. Detached properties at the same headline price can represent quite different compromises depending on location, plot, age and renovation requirements. I would avoid combining them into one citywide measure. Even two nearby areas may have different listing competition, so publish the results by the smallest area your sample can support.
 
Fair points. My 3.0% is a visible comparison rather than a clean set of matched transactions, so I shouldn’t present it as a settled discount rate. I also haven’t separated original asking prices from later reductions consistently. I’ll narrow the exercise to continuous listings and completed deals in the same neighbourhood before deciding whether waiting is justified.
 
For that narrower exercise, record listing date, any price-change dates, property condition, final asking price, completion date and completed price. Keep relisted homes linked rather than treating them as new stock. That should reveal whether the 110-day figure reflects genuine marketing time and whether renovated homes are moving faster or merely priced more realistically.
 
Policy timing could matter, but only if a specific change overlaps the listing and completion periods. Otherwise it risks becoming a convenient explanation after the fact. The same applies to seasonality: compare March 2026 with adjacent months and, if you have consistent historical data, the same period previously. Don’t mix datasets with different revision histories.
 
From a buyer’s perspective, I wouldn’t turn the observed 3.0% gap into an automatic offer of 3.0% below every asking price. A fresh, well-presented home may have less room than a stale listing needing work. Use the seller’s pricing history and the closest completed comparisons, then account separately for renovation costs rather than hiding everything inside one discount.
 
The most defensible answer for now is “possible selectivity, not yet demonstrated.” Split the data into well-presented and work-required homes, then show both transaction count and median marketing time for each neighbourhood cohort. If the gap survives those controls beyond March 2026, it is more likely to represent buyer behaviour; if it disappears, the changing inventory mix was doing the work.
 
Back
Top