Dubai coastal home at AED 1,505,000: building a complete legal and tax cost checklist

tradeTheChart

Landlord
Established
I’m considering a coastal home in Dubai priced around AED 1,505,000 and want an all-in checklist before deciding whether to proceed. I have transfer tax, registration and possible legal or notary fees on the list, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, recurring property charges and cross-border tax issues.

What should I ask a licensed UAE professional to itemise? I also need to understand capital-gains treatment, whether residency changes anything, and whether the ownership structure creates inheritance-planning issues. This is outside my home country, so I don’t want to import assumptions from a different system.
 
Ask for two totals rather than one: the cash required to complete the purchase and the expected cost of the first full year. For every line, request the recipient, calculation method, payment date, who normally pays it and whether it can change before completion. That makes vague labels such as “registration” or “administration” much easier to challenge.
 
Is this a completed home or something still under development, and are you paying cash or using finance? Those facts could change both the sequence and the number of parties charging fees. I would also give the adviser the exact development and unit details, since “Dubai coastal home” is not precise enough to resolve ownership eligibility or recurring charges.
 
Don’t let annual property charges disappear just because they are not technically closing costs. Ask for the current charge schedule, what period the next demand covers, whether anything is outstanding, and how charges are apportioned at completion. Also ask what evidence you will receive showing that earlier amounts have been settled.
 
I’d be cautious about assuming there must be a conventional notary fee simply because that is familiar elsewhere. Have the local professional map the actual transfer process and identify which steps require separate payment. The same applies to ownership restrictions: confirm that this specific property can be held by the intended buyer and in the intended name, rather than relying on a general description of Dubai rules.
 
One more distinction: costs attached to the unit are not necessarily the same as costs imposed by the development or building. I would ask for each category separately, including which amounts recur annually and which arise only on resale, transfer or a change in ownership structure.
 
The capital-gains question may need to be asked in two places. UAE treatment is only one side; your home jurisdiction may tax or require reporting of a later sale, rental income or foreign ownership. Residency status can also mean different things for immigration and tax purposes, so ask advisers to state exactly which meaning they are using.
 
Inheritance planning belongs on the list before choosing how the title is held. The useful questions are who would deal with the property after a death, what documents would be recognised, and whether the proposed ownership name or structure affects that process. This is very dependent on personal circumstances and jurisdictions, so a generic answer from a sales conversation would not be enough.
 
I agree it matters, but I would not let the inheritance analysis obscure the initial affordability decision. Keep a basic purchase-cost sheet that can be compared now, then a separate legal-structure sheet that must be resolved before signing. Otherwise uncertain future scenarios can get mixed into the concrete amount needed at completion.
 
A concise request to the adviser could be: “Please provide the purchase price, every one-off charge, every recurring charge, the party receiving each payment, when it is due, and whether the estimate is fixed. Please also flag any ownership, residency, tax-reporting or succession issue that depends on my nationality, residence, financing or proposed title holder.” Attach the exact property details.
 
Once those answers arrive, reconcile them against the sale paperwork rather than treating the estimate as definitive. Any line that appears in one but not the other needs an explanation. For the final decision, compare three figures: completion cash, first-year carrying costs and costs that could arise on a later sale or transfer. That should expose most gaps without pretending every future tax outcome can be known now.
 
Back
Top