Dubai condo purchase: what costs belong on my 35-day checklist?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I have 35 days to firm up the numbers for a Dubai condo priced around AED 1,486,000. My checklist already includes transfer-related costs, registration, and possible legal or notary fees, but I am less confident about ownership restrictions, annual property charges, and anything linked to residency or inheritance planning.

For those familiar with UAE transactions, what tends to appear after the first estimate? I want a practical list of questions for licensed local professionals, rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
One clarification: I am not assuming that buying the condo automatically settles any residency issue. I am also trying to distinguish cash needed at completion from later or conditional costs. Should I ask for annual building charges to be apportioned at completion, and who should confirm whether any prior balance remains against the unit?
 
Yes—separate the list into one-time completion costs, recurring property charges, and costs arising from your own circumstances. Ask for a written completion statement showing who pays each item and whether annual charges are apportioned. Also request confirmation of the permitted ownership structure and the unit’s registration status.

Is this a cash purchase or financed? If financed, there may be another set of lender-related items to identify rather than burying them in “legal fees.”
 
I would not put capital-gains treatment into the same bucket as Dubai closing costs. It may depend on your tax residence, future sale circumstances, and rules outside the UAE. The same caution applies to inheritance planning: ownership and succession questions should be raised before the title structure is settled, not treated as an annual expense.

Also, a quoted building charge is only an estimate unless someone confirms the relevant period, apportionment, and any outstanding balance.
 
With 35 days, I would use three columns: confirmed amount, conditional amount, and recurring amount. Ask the conveyancing professional for the completion breakdown; ask the building side for the annual-charge position and allocation at completion; then take residency, future capital-gains exposure, and inheritance questions to the relevant tax or estate professional for your jurisdictions.

I would resist inflating the total with every hypothetical cost. Mark unknowns clearly, assign each one to the person who must answer it, and set a date for getting the answer.
 
Back
Top