Dubai detached homes: is 87 days a meaningful selling time?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I’ve checked the active adverts for detached homes between AED 719,300 and AED 1,079,000, and they suggest an age of about 87 days. What I cannot tell is whether that says anything about completed selling times. A home sitting online for four months remains in the sample, while a quick sale disappears.

I also need to tighten the neighbourhood boundaries and account for recent additions to the market. Would you start with completed deals, then compare withdrawals and price changes to judge whether seller motivation is driving the longer cases?
 
Active stock will usually make the wait look longer because quick sales disappear while stubborn listings remain visible. Compare completed deals separately, then add withdrawn properties so you do not mistake removal for a sale.
 
How are you defining day one: first advertised, latest relisting, or the date of the current agent’s advert? Duplicate and refreshed listings could move an apparent 87 days quite a lot.
 
I would also question the energy-performance link. It might be acting as a proxy for age, renovation level or general condition rather than independently explaining the longer marketing time.
 
Exactly. Split the sample into sold, withdrawn and still active. For completed deals, note both total advertised time and when the first meaningful price cut happened. Those answer different questions.
 
Good points. I used the earliest visible date I could find for current adverts, but I have not consistently matched relistings or withdrawals. The geography is also broad rather than tightly grouped by neighbourhood, so 87 days is probably more of a rough signal than a usable target.
 
The neighbourhood issue may be bigger than the energy one. Two detached homes in the same price band can appeal to very different buyers if location, plot, access and surrounding stock differ.
 
Could the lower and upper ends of that AED range also behave differently? I would divide it into smaller bands before drawing conclusions. A single average may be blending separate buyer pools.
 
Omar, your next pass could use medians rather than an average. One severely overpriced listing can sit online for ages and pull the average upward, whereas the median better describes the middle property.
 
Do completed records show when buyer and seller actually agreed, or only when the transaction was completed? Financing and paperwork can create a gap, so completion time is not necessarily marketing time.
 
Seller motivation matters too. An occupied home with no urgency can remain advertised at an ambitious price, while a seller needing certainty may cut earlier. Those listings should not be treated as identical tests of demand.
 
I would record condition in simple categories: ready to occupy, cosmetic work, and substantial work. That may reveal whether the supposed energy-performance effect survives once condition is separated.
 
New-listing volume is another missing piece. If many detached homes entered this band recently, the active sample becomes younger even if buyer demand has not changed. A monthly snapshot alone can mislead in either direction.
 
And if few new listings arrived, the remaining pool naturally looks older. Tracking additions and exits each week would give the 87-day number some context.
 
One practical complication: identical homes may be advertised by multiple agents with different dates and descriptions. Match by location, layout, images and asking price where possible, rather than counting every advert as a separate property.
 
That matching could also clarify price cuts. A property disappearing at AED 1,079,000 and returning under another advert at a lower figure is not genuinely new stock.
 
I disagree slightly on using the median as the main answer. It is useful, but the older tail matters to a seller because it shows the risk of getting price or presentation wrong. Report both median and range rather than hiding the outliers.
 
Fair caveat. I would still remove obvious duplicates first, then show the middle result alongside the longest active cases and explain what those cases have in common.
 
A simple table would do: neighbourhood, initial ask, current ask, first-listing date, status, condition, financing suitability if known, and whether the home appears elsewhere. Blank is better than guessing.
 
Would financing suitability even be observable from listings? Unless it is explicitly established, that column risks becoming an assumption based on appearance or price.
 
Back
Top