Dubai listings: the headline and the street-level picture

way.tidy

First-time buyer
If I mistake stale stock for a bargain, I could end up paying for a problem that other buyers have already spotted. My Dubai notes cover mainly villas asking between AED 2,819,000 and AED 4,228,000, with a typical advertised age of 68 days.

I first assumed maintenance and condition explained which homes lingered. A well-kept villa can also sit, though, if financed buyers cannot support the valuation or several close substitutes have just been listed. For owners and agents watching this range, would you compare completed sales within narrow neighbourhood boundaries first, or focus on relisting history, new supply and signs of seller motivation?
 
One gap I’ve noticed: listing age may be misleading if homes are withdrawn and relisted. How are people distinguishing genuinely new stock from recycled listings? I’d also be interested in whether price cuts tend to happen before serious viewings, or only once a financed buyer gets far enough to challenge the valuation.
 
Condition matters, but I wouldn’t treat 68 days as evidence of a maintenance problem by itself. Compare recent completed sales with current asking prices inside tightly drawn neighbourhood boundaries; two villas described as being in the same broad area may not be close substitutes. New-listing volume matters too. If similar homes keep appearing, buyers can wait even when the older property is perfectly sound.
 
I partly disagree with the maintenance theory. It may be a proxy for seller motivation: an owner who delays repairs may also resist reducing the price. Financing can widen the gap between an accepted offer and completion as well, so “quick” needs a clear definition. Does your sample separate vacant properties from occupied ones, and original asking prices from reduced prices?
 
I’d turn the notes into a small property-by-property table: exact neighbourhood, villa type, apparent condition, first-seen date, original ask, current ask, and whether it vanished or was marked sold. Keep withdrawn listings separate from completed sales. Then compare the fastest and slowest groups, and obtain inspection-based repair estimates for any serious candidate. That should show whether condition explains the gap or whether price and seller behaviour are doing more of the work.
 
Back
Top