Dubai property transactions: where do the surprises usually appear?

alba_dean

Homeowner
I work on the development side around the Dubai market, and one recurring problem is that buyers focus on the headline price while leaving financing timing, document responsibility and professional conflicts unclear until much later.

I’m opening a practical Q&A on pricing evidence, realistic negotiation limits, building reserves and coordination between the people involved. Please include the jurisdiction and property type in your question. I’ll separate practical experience from matters requiring regulated local advice, and comparisons from professionals in other jurisdictions are welcome.
 
Dubai, resale apartment. If the asking price is described as negotiable, what evidence should a buyer request before deciding on an opening offer? I’m also wondering whether financing should be settled first, or whether that weakens the buyer by revealing too much too early.
 
Start by separating the seller’s asking price from evidence of completed comparable transactions. Ask why the chosen comparisons are genuinely comparable: building, condition, layout, view, occupancy and timing can all affect the conclusion.

Financing readiness usually strengthens the credibility of an offer, but you do not need to disclose every financial detail to the seller. Establish your own ceiling and expected timing with the relevant lender or adviser first. Also ask whether the seller has constraints that limit negotiation, rather than assuming “negotiable” means a large reduction.
 
Who should own the document list in that situation? Buyers can have an agent, lender, conveyancing contact and building management all requesting different items. I’d want one written list showing who provides each document and by when, but is that normally driven by the buyer or by whichever professional is coordinating the transaction?
 
I’d add a caveat to the developer-side answer: price comparisons are not neutral if the person selecting them also benefits from a particular outcome. Before relying on the evidence, ask who prepared it, who they represent and how they are paid. Any conflict should be disclosed plainly. The same applies when one party recommends the lender or another professional.
 
Ana’s proposed written list is the practical answer, regardless of who creates the first draft. It should cover the required item, the person responsible, the recipient and the target date. The buyer should keep a copy rather than assuming one intermediary holds the complete file.

For an apartment, I would also ask early who can answer questions about building charges or reserves, and whether the available information is current. Interpretation may need local professional input, but finding out late that nobody requested it is avoidable.
 
That helps. So my sequence would be: confirm my financing timing privately, request properly matched completed-price evidence, set a ceiling, then make an offer that does not depend on the word “negotiable.” In parallel, I’d start the responsibility list and ask each participant to disclose whom they represent. The remaining uncertainty seems to be building information, so I’d make that an early question rather than leaving it until agreement on price.
 
Back
Top