Dublin apartment at €975,200: closing costs and ongoing charges I may be missing

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
This sounded simple until I wrote everything down. I’m building a cost checklist for a Dublin apartment priced around €975,200. I have transfer tax, legal or notary fees and registration on the obvious list, but the ownership structure and recurring property or building charges seem less straightforward.

I also don’t know how much weight to give days-on-market. A long listing period might create negotiating room, but it says nothing about whether the paperwork or management information is ready.

For anyone familiar with Irish transactions, which cost categories tend to appear outside the first estimate? I’m looking for practical questions to take to licensed local professionals, especially around annual charges, residency, future capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning—not personal legal or tax advice.
 
For an apartment, I’d separate the spreadsheet into purchase costs, building-related costs and future tax issues. Ask for the legal estimate to state what is included, what is a third-party expense and whether registration is fully covered. Separately, request the current annual management charge, any arrears connected with the unit, the position of the sinking fund and details of planned major works. Those can matter more to your holding budget than a small closing line item.
 
That separation helps. I had put every tax-related item into one total, even though capital gains and inheritance are future planning questions rather than completion cash.

I’ll also ask whether “notary” is actually a separate relevant cost here or just terminology I carried over from other countries. The unresolved point is whether sole or joint ownership changes the questions I should raise before the title is prepared.
 
I’d push back on using days-on-market to set the contingency. A listing can sit for reasons unrelated to legal readiness or hidden expense, so it’s a weak proxy. Use it in price discussions if useful, but base the reserve on written figures and the apartment-management information.
 
Build the checklist around when money could become due: before completion, at completion, annually, on major building works and eventually on sale or transfer. Then ask the solicitor to mark every purchase line as fixed, estimated or dependent on another party.

For the tax meeting, bring the proposed ownership names and residency position rather than asking only for a generic capital-gains figure. Ask how different ownership choices could affect later sale and inheritance treatment, and whether cross-border residence changes anything. Irish and other-country rules may interact, so that part needs advice based on the actual people involved.
 
One more question before choosing sole or joint ownership: is there any restriction, consent requirement or practical complication for the intended buyers or occupiers? Better to resolve that before comparing tax outcomes or instructing the title documents.
 
Back
Top