Dublin condo: launch high or nearer the likely sale price?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
Two agents have given me quite different valuations for a Dublin condo. The higher proposal is obviously attractive, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously appear to have sat for roughly 79 days before cutting their prices. I’m deciding between testing that higher figure and launching closer to the likely sale price while the listing is fresh. Did pricing high actually improve anyone’s completed outcome, or mainly cost the strongest first-week interest? I’d especially like to know how recent completed sales, condition and neighbourhood boundaries support either strategy—not just what an agent promises during the pitch.
 
Unless the condo has something genuinely uncommon and you can tolerate a long wait, I’d favour the evidence-based price. Buyers may filter it out before ever considering negotiation. One important question, though: are those 79-day listings truly comparable and within the same neighbourhood, or are they merely nearby with different condition or buyer appeal?
 
Also check whether the two agents used completed sales or current asking prices. Current listings only show what sellers hope to get. Withdrawn and relisted properties can make the visible time on market misleading too. I’d ask both agents to explain every comparable they excluded as well as the ones they selected.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject the higher launch. If new-listing volume is low, the seller is in no hurry and the gap is modest, a short test can be reasonable. The problem is drifting for 79 days and then reacting. Agree in advance what level of viewings, serious interest or feedback would trigger a reduction, and when.
 
Completed price still needs context. A condo in better condition may justify more, while one needing work can lose buyers whose financing leaves little room for improvements. Put the agents’ examples in a simple table: location boundary, condition, original ask, any cut, completed price and whether comparable listings were withdrawn. Differences in the valuations may then become obvious.
 
“Dublin” is much too broad for this comparison. Even a nearby condo can attract a different pool if buyers regard it as another neighbourhood. I’d make each agent defend the valuation using the tightest credible boundary first, then widen it only where the properties are genuinely similar. Otherwise the higher number may just come from selecting friendlier comparisons.
 
Seller motivation decides the trade-off. If there is a real timeline, protecting the fresh-listing period matters more than proving the market wrong. If delay and withdrawal are acceptable, testing higher carries less risk. Either way, don’t treat 79 days as the point to reconsider; set the decision rules before launch and ask the higher-valuing agent what evidence would cause them to change their figure.
 
Back
Top