Dublin duplexes around €1,067,000: does 72 days create room to negotiate?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
Seventy-two days on the market is the point making me consider a firmer offer, although it may say more about the seller than the property. The Dublin duplex I am watching is around €1,067,000. My wider group ranges from €853,800 to €1,281,000, and the listings have followed very different paths.

Condition and energy performance appear to help explain some of the quicker sales, but neighbourhood boundaries and seller motivation may be just as important. An older listing with few competing properties could still have little negotiating pressure.

Has anyone compared recent completed prices with the full asking history, including reductions and withdrawn stock? I would like to judge the likely final outcome rather than rely on a sale-agreed notice or the headline marketing period.
 
Seventy-two days gives a buyer a reason to ask questions, but not automatically a large discount. I’d look at when any price cut happened, whether the property needs work, and how clearly the energy performance has been presented. A recent reduction could mean the seller has already moved; no reduction might mean either confidence or inflexibility.
 
I’m less convinced that time listed equals negotiating room. It can just mean the seller is willing to wait. The number of genuinely new alternatives coming on matters more: if buyers have several comparable duplexes to choose from, an older listing is under pressure. If replacements are scarce, 72 days may not trouble the seller.
 
How tightly are you drawing the neighbourhood boundaries? At this price level, grouping properties under “Dublin” can hide major differences in immediate setting. I’d also separate ready-to-occupy duplexes from those needing substantial work. Otherwise the apparent discount may simply be the market pricing the condition.
 
One more missing piece is buyer financing. A lower offer with clear funding and few uncertainties may be more useful to a motivated seller than a higher but fragile one. Conversely, if the seller is in no hurry, stronger financing will not necessarily produce a price concession.
 
That’s the important distinction. Negotiation is not only about the number. If two offers are close, certainty and timing can matter; if they are far apart, presentation will not bridge the gap. Emma, are the asking prices current figures, or the original prices before any reductions?
 
Completed sales also need to be matched by when the deal was actually negotiated, not merely when the final figure appeared. In a changing market, that timing gap can make a supposed comparable misleading. I’d record original ask, revised ask, sale-agreed timing if known, completed price, condition and energy performance.
 
Withdrawals could be distorting your sample. Listings that disappear are not necessarily completed sales, and relisted properties can look newer than they really are. I would keep them in a separate group rather than treating every disappearance as evidence that the asking price was accepted.
 
Good points. The €853,800–€1,281,000 group is probably too broad to interpret as one market, even though the rough average I’m seeing is 72 days. I haven’t separated withdrawals and relistings consistently, and I need to divide by condition and much tighter neighbourhood boundaries. I’ll also distinguish original asking prices from current ones before drawing conclusions about negotiation.
 
A simple table should make the pattern clearer. One row per property, with first observed date, original and current ask, dates of reductions, withdrawal or sale-agreed status, condition, energy information and financing complications if disclosed. Then compare completed outcomes only within the closest groups. The €1,067,000 figure may be representative of your saved set without representing any one local segment.
 
Micro-location may explain more than property type here. Two duplexes that look similar in a search can face different buyer demand because their immediate surroundings differ. I’d begin with the smallest sensible area, then widen it only when there are too few completed examples. Dublin-wide comparisons are likely to mix several different negotiations.
 
I agree on narrowing the area, but there is a danger of going so narrow that one unusual completion sets the expectation. I’d run it both ways: close local matches first, then a wider group adjusted for condition and energy performance. If both point in the same direction, the case for a lower offer is stronger.
 
Seller motivation is the part no spreadsheet fully captures. A long-listed property with no cuts may belong to someone waiting for a particular price, while a newly reduced one may indicate more urgency—or simply a correction from an unrealistic opening ask. A reasoned offer should refer to comparable condition and current alternatives, not just say “72 days means discount.”
 
The practical next step seems to be: clean the saved list for relistings, split it by immediate area and condition, note the timing of cuts, then wait for completed figures where available. After that, make an offer based on the closest few properties rather than the full €853,800–€1,281,000 range. Emma, an update on whether the older listings cut, withdrew or completed would be useful.
 
Back
Top