Dublin inventory shifted in June 2025 — seasonal bump or buyer selectivity?

alba.wood

First-time buyer
Established
I’m tracking Dublin listings and June 2025 looks different: there is more property available, but not much more that I would actually buy. Well-presented apartments appear to be moving in roughly 88 days, while homes needing work remain listed longer.

What I cannot reconcile is asking prices against completed deals; the visible gap looks close to 3.8%. Is that meaningful, or just a consequence of comparing different properties and dates? I’d appreciate neighbourhood-level observations or completed transactions, with citywide headlines kept separate.
 
My first answer would be “possibly both,” but the 3.8% figure needs care. Today’s completed sales may have been agreed months before the June listings you are watching, so they are not necessarily the same market moment. The useful test is matched properties: original ask, any reductions, agreed price if known, and eventual recorded sale price.
 
How large is the sample behind the 88 days, and when does your clock start? First listing, latest relisting, or sale agreed? A withdrawn apartment that returns with a new advert can make the apparent marketing period misleading. I’d also split apartments by condition and neighbourhood before treating that figure as Dublin-wide.
 
Also, are you measuring transaction volume or just listing inventory? More adverts can reflect fresh supply, slower absorption, relistings, or all three. If completed volume has not moved in the same direction, “more choice” may be less substantial than it appears.
 
One more complication: sold-price information and listing histories can be revised or appear with a delay. I’d preserve a dated snapshot of the June 2025 figures rather than continually overwriting the sheet. Otherwise later updates may quietly change the result and make the original 3.8% impossible to reproduce.
 
I’m less convinced that the asking-to-sold gap tells you buyers are becoming more selective. Asking prices are seller choices, not a clean measure of demand. A change in the mix—more fixer-uppers, different apartment sizes, or different neighbourhoods—could create that gap without any broad shift in buyer behaviour. You would need repeatable comparisons within small local segments.
 
If buyer selectivity is declared too early, a change in property mix or ordinary seasonal movement could be mistaken for a trend. I would extend the tracker for several months, but keep the analysis narrow by grouping listings according to their first month on the market.

For each property, preserve the original asking figure and record later reductions, condition, type, neighbourhood, time to sale agreed and the eventual recorded price. A withdrawal or relisting should remain visible rather than being overwritten. Holidays and policy dates can be noted without treating them as explanations.

That gives a workable compromise: keep the 3.8% observation, but test it only within closely matched local groups. If the pattern persists across larger monthly samples after seasonal effects are visible, the argument that buyers are becoming more selective will be more convincing.
 
Back
Top